Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help!    

Help!

CILB
Argentina

Help!

What is the difference between department store and shopping mall?? I looked up the definitions in the dictionary but I still don�t get it... Probably because there are no department stores in arg, are there?

12 Dec 2008      

libertybelle
United States

A department store is, like it�s name, a big (often huge) store with many different departments, such as a clothes department, shoes, kids underwear, toys, etc.
A Mall is a big, enclosed area (many shops under one roof) with many individual small and selective shops, often with their own brand of goods, such as a Gucci shop, a Sock Shop, a music shop and some malls have coffee shops and ice skating rinks. But each shop is owned my its own owner.
Hope this helps
L

12 Dec 2008     

agusjavier
Argentina

A department store here in Argentina is FALABELLA, a shopping mall is ALTO PALERMO, ABASTO

12 Dec 2008     

eaglestar
Philippines

Hi!

A department store is only one store selling different merchandise but falling under one management. A shopping mall on the other hand, is usually bigger and is composed of many shops and boutiques selling different products. Each of the individual shops has its own proprietor/manager. All of the shops fall under the mall management who takes charge of all the shops under it.

I hope that answers your query.Smile

12 Dec 2008     

CILB
Argentina

But department in this case means area. An area within a bigger area. I mean not a different shop... right?

12 Dec 2008     

CILB
Argentina

But department in this case means area. An area within a bigger area. I mean not a different shop... right?

12 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Yes, a department store is one big store. A Mall is many individual shops under the same roof.
But I wouldn�t say that a Mall is larger than a department store.
There are some department stores in the US that fill a whole block!!
L

12 Dec 2008     

CILB
Argentina

Thank you very much!!!  HugI can say now that there a no department stores where I live but there are some in Buenos Aires.

12 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Where do you live Chechu?

12 Dec 2008