Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My students are evil    

My students are evil

leelei
Denmark

my experience has been that the students I liked least when I taught em, I meet them many years aleter and they �re such nice people. I always think, they cause me problems now, but they will grow out of it.

15 Mar 2011     

karina7777
Denmark

I can really relate to what you �re saying, Carinita - I was shy when I started teaching, too. Believe me, this job is perfect if you �d like to change that ; )

When I started teaching, I thought that I had to act in a way that �s really not natural for me. If kids were acting the way you �re describing, I �d think "Oh no, it �s my fault, I should be more authoritative/shout at them/ be more scary ; )

Now, I think it �s all about being true to yourself. BE yourself, expect good behaviour and spend time getting to know your pupils. Relations, relations, relations...

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

You got it! 
Direct guidance works only if they recognise your authority because of your relationship with them as they understand it!
I �ll try & add a few more ideas to the discussion... but I �m a little preoccupied with possible impending Nuclear disaster...

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

leelei
yes! today I met some of my last year students...the students that passed the course I �m teaching at the moment and they looked so in control...so nice...it was like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Great advice there karina! Couldn �t have said it better myself Smile

15 Mar 2011     

leelei
Denmark

As I get on in teaching, I �m becoming more mellow. I find that I still have a hot temper, but there are things that bothered me before that don �t bother me anymore. But it also depends on the client-I teach a nicer bunch of kids than I did before. Even when they act bad, it �s still good compared to before. So it �s easier to reach them. We have a lot of fun. But I always remember, I �m their teacher, not their friend.

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

Oh I forgot to tell you!!!!! It has trascended beyond school boundaries that kids at "that" age "that" institution give hell to the teachers...perhaps that �s why I have that negative perception about the group

The fact is many students are re doing the course

15 Mar 2011     

karina7777
Denmark

I am not familiar with the Argentinian school system - will you be teaching them for a year now? What kind of a course is it - English in general or a specific target?
For how long have they been learning English?
If you can, I �d suggest that you start with something that really catches their attention and makes them enjoy the English lessons - e.g. working with a song that �s popular right now. Maybe save phonetics for a bit later, if you can?
Have to sleep now but will get back tomorrow. Interesting topic! : )

Alien boy - thank you and right back at you ; )
School talk aside, am really worried about the nuclear power plant situation.  Can tell that you �re in Japan - are you close by the power plant in question? Take care.
Argh, can �t really think of any phrases suitable for this situation...

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

me neither...good night!

15 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Good night, carinita! I sent you a PM.

Hug

15 Mar 2011     

< Previous   1    2