Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

Jayho
Australia

Word of the Day

After 210 days since first posted by FranknBea (with 20 responses) is WOD dying a slow natural death?  Is it about to perish never to be seen again? Is its use by date approaching?  Is the time nigh?  Is the end near, my dear?  With responses to previous WODs dwindling and only two responses today me thinks so.  Well, all good things must come to an end ... or must they?

mmm ... only time and repsonse/s will tell.

If you are keen for it to continue then post your definition to perissology .  If not, then duly ignore.

ChEeRs

JaYhO

16 Mar 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

I have to confess that I broke the rules and looked up the word perissology.

This is what the American Heritage dictionary had to say: perissology, alternate spelling p�rezology /pə(r) ɪz �ɑ:lədʒi / n uncountable  the study of Perez Hilton. Mario Armando Lavanderia, Jr. (I�m sure his dad is very proud) better known as Perez Hilton (a play on Paris Hilton) is an American blogger and television personality. His blogs cover gossip about musicians, actors and other celebrities.

16 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Dear Jayho!! How could anyone resist your desperate call to defend a right cause?
I, myself have been a bit lazy and my brain not so witty and I am totally bemused by the imagination of some of you that I preferred to stand by and just watch!!Smile 
However, I shall try a daffynition , although it is daffycult after ED �s witty explanation!

Perrissology in fact is an abbreviation of an old French expression

Peris = peril = danger

au= at /in

logis : old fashioned word for house ( living place)

So " il ya peril au logis" means there is "danger in the house " and the shorter and newer way of expressing it is:" There is perrissology"

Cheers Jayho! Wink

16 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Perissology � is the title of a short (very short) guide book about the capital of France written by Melbourne �s own Kath Day-Knight. 
(an extract: 
The Eiffel Tower? It �s noice!)

16 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Almaz - you seem to have a thing about our Kath �n �Kim.  Are you a fan of these gorgeous gals with their own un-perrisology (or whatever the opposite of perrisology is by adding a prefix)

16 Mar 2011     

Krocha
Brazil

I think...

Perissology :  consists  one of the peculiarities  grammar  called addiction language.
Use of terms unnecessary which are related a thought already expressed .
Redundance or superfluity of speech . pleonasm. ...

16 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yeah, Jayho, these wonderful ladies have had a searing effluence on moy, er, me for some time now.

Boy boy!

16 Mar 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I didn �t think to respond since I felt the language was somewhat inappropriate, but hey, we are here to learn new words and I for one, think the WOD is one of the best educational tools I �ve encountered so here we go...

Since �Peri � is Greek for �around �, perissology is the study of the average perimeter an adult male needs to reckon with when pissing against the wind to avoid unpleasant splatter.
Studies have revealed that animals calculate this perimeter instinctively and one of the fields of perissology researches how come human males have lost this ability and whether the insistence on standing on both legs is a factor here..

It may seem crazy that a word exists for this but a look at this video will show you that language is rich enough to have words for all kinds of things...

16 Mar 2011