Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say....?    

How do you say....?

tancredo
Portugal

How do you say....?

Hello, everybody!

Hope you �re having a calm Sunday!

If you have the time I would like you to tell me which of the following phrases is right:

To peel a banana  or  to skin a banana?

an orange zest or an orange peel?     or are these different?

What about nuts?

Do you skin them ?  do you crack them?

We all end up by eating them, but what do we do before?

Thank you so much!

Have a nice week.

27 Mar 2011      

coyote.chus
Spain

Hi.
You peel fruit, so it should be to peel a banana and an orange.

But
orange peel
apple peel or apple skin
other fruits: skin , banana skin
potato peelings

But you don �t peel nuts, I think you crack them. And you also crack eggs.

Anyway, let �s hope for some native speakers � opinion.

27 Mar 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

you peel a banana, although a banana has a skin
if you zest an orange, that �s for using in a recipe, otherwise, you peel an orange, in order to consume it
then you crack a nut, so you can get the nut to eat.

27 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. I peel  bananananas (sorry I don �t know when to stop), crack nuts. Orange peel is the skin with the white stuff which I believe is called the pith, the zest which is used in cooking is just the orange part above the pith. Lemon zest is also used in cooking.

27 Mar 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I would peel a banana but what I take off the banana I would call the banana skin or the banana peel (in order of preference).

Orange zest is that fine stuff you get when you use a cheese grater, normally used in cakes, etc. as a flavouring.  Orange peel is much bigger ....we used to try to peel the whole orange in one single peel.

You crack the hard parts of the nuts ie the shells but if there is any inner skin under the shell you would probably peel or skin that.
Just my tuppence worth as a native speaker.
Joy

27 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

Cracking nuts is just the first step. It opens the shell, but doesn �t remove it. The whole process is called shelling the nuts.

I think that in the US we call the outside of the banana (unlike Ed, I know when to stop) the peel more than the skin. I know that the more common expression is "to slip on a banana peel" rather than on a banana skin.

One more thing on orange zest. It �s uncountable, so you don �t say "an orange zest". The other nouns mentioned here are countable.

You are right about potato peelings, when they have been removed. On the potato, or as a bar snack, they are potato skins.

The process of removing the skin is called peeling if you do it with your hands, or paring if you do it with a knife, which is called a paring knife.

Now let �s clean up all these skins/peels and have a nice snack of fruits and nuts (or we could say "fruit and nuts", but that �s another lesson).

Now you have a whole hour �s lesson.
Bruce

27 Mar 2011     

Marta_
Portugal

Sometimes I have to teach  English for catering, very accurated information Yanogator thanks a lot.
I am not going to add anything because you have said it all. I will just add a Portuguese word for zest ,  to Tancredo because I had to learn that information in Portuguese first so that later I could translate it into  English with my students.  Zest can be translated into Portuguese as " vidrado": just  the orange or green part of the orange and lemon, what excludes the white part that comes after.

Cheers

27 Mar 2011     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Bruce, I simply love your posts on the forum, could read and read and read and learn and learn and learn :)

Thanks to everyone who answered the initial post and thanks to the author of the thread for raising such an interesting topic :) Time for oranges now, bye bye everyone :)

27 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

Thank you so much, Kate. What a sweet thing to say!

Marta, can you tell me where the word "vidrado" comes from? Is there a verb "vidrar" of which it would be the past participle? I love learning about words.

Thanks,
Bruce

27 Mar 2011