Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How many points do you need?    

How many points do you need?

edrodmedina
United States

How many points do you need?

Points, our ticket to getting what we need here at ESLprintables. I have noticed over the few months that I�ve been a member of this great site, that some members seem obsessed with getting the almighty points or not losing the points they already have. While I�ve never mysteriously lost any points as some have, I feel, and of course this is just my opinion, that unless you dip below the 30 points that make you a premium member, it really doesn�t matter how many points you have beyond that unless of course you are aiming for 4,000 to become one of those heartless, point grubbing, worksheet reporting, soulless moderators. Of course I�m kidding about the moderatos. You actually need 5,000 points to become one of those mud sucking evil incarnates. So don�t fret too much if you go missing a point here or there as long as you have at least 30 to keep you premium. Keep in mind that the purpose of this site is to help each other. When you do that you get something worth a lot more than points. Remember that, (especially the newbies, which I still consider myself) when you don�t get your points a nano second after you post.

Again I have to say that this is just my opinion and of course you know what they say: Opinions are like armpits (some use another part of the anatomy) everyone has (at least) one and they often stink.

Hey moderators you know I�m only kidding. I�m almost convinced most of you might, perhaps have, in some cases, a soul. Again I�m kidding. You guys are great. You have a thankless job; you do it to the best of your ability and often get chastised when all you are doing is trying to keep the site honest.

Have a great week everyone.

29 Mar 2011      

Riphly
United States

SLAP! (shake hand) SLAP! (shake hand) - you play a risky game! If I were a �moderatos � (Latin? Spanish?) I might be tempted to play the same game �backacha �.
And you didn �t even finish with a �Thank you! � after mentioning that it is a "thankless job".

29 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

You know Riphly you are absolutely correct. I thank all the moderators for a difficult and I would imagine, tedious job. Those who know me know I jest (not about thanking  but about the moderators) Sometimes people here take things way too seriously and ride the moderators on  things the moderators really have no control over. I meant no offense. Ed

29 Mar 2011     

alespagna
Italy

I totally agree with you. Very nice comment.. goes straight to the point!

29 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

dear Ed
 I understand your opinion and I understand the newbies desire to get points! WHen you see this incredible site with so much to offer and you can �t access it because you are a few points short, it is terribly frustrating, hence the complaints on the forum! This is why , at one time, I was suggesting we Gave our work! I was considering those people who work in conditions not so favourable as others! That �s why when some members started giving templates for free, explaining how to make good ws and even saying we could use part or whole of their ws,(see philipr) I thought that was a really generous way of considering things. We all know that some people don �t even have a blackckboard to write on ! So help, yes! but in some situations, urgent situations, it is not enough and we mustn �t be surprised when the same people try to cheat to get more points!Smile  Just my opinion and I hope it doesn �t stink too much as i have just had a shower!!LOL

29 Mar 2011     

Morgenstjerne
Germany

dear Ed,

there are plenty of such people in the Internet. Look for example at some online game sites. I play there sometimes some easy games, wenn I need relaxing, and I do it anonymous. But there are so many people who keep a principle: playing only under login, collecting points and being on the top of the rank! I find it rather primitive, but, as my fianc� says "when this makes them happy... why not?"

i am a total newby on this site and I have not so many points as you all have, but for me is more important how many people have downloaded my printables, not how many points i �ll get for it (I already have 30, so I don �t have to worry about my own downloading) - it means also that my worksheets are useful, that people like them and this is much more meaningful as these points :)

29 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hey Ed, some would say that this is a pointless discussion - he he LOL

But yes Ed, you have raised several valid points.  It is pointless to be totally focussed on points.  As they say, all things in moderation.

29 Mar 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I agree that the primary purpose of the site is to provide ready-to-use ws to use in class, and the second might be to enhance one�s skills on making his own, based on the examples and help provided here.

As you see I used might in order to show there are other possible �second� reasons for a person to join the site, and when we add all the human feelings we�ll see that there are in fact as many reasons as human emotions.

Some have a developed sense of competition (not a real bad characteristic, but it depends on how far a person is able to go in order to get what he wants�.), or maybe they are in search of some sort of compensation they are unable to get in their �real life� (and that may explain why some are accused of not having one�), or maybe they see the points as a form of rewarding or compensation for their hard work and learning.

I see the points as a form of approval the members give concerning what I do, and not as a �badge� to proudly display as a flag. I also see that the site as partly responsible for my learning and my learning makes it possible to get points.

Before joining the site I had a confused idea of what could or couldn�t be of use in my students� learning process and now I�m still learning� Most of what I prepare is to be seen as part of the process of experimenting ideas and approaches, some work with some students, some � for a mysterious reason I�m still not able to get � don�t.

Preparing worksheets is � more than a habit � a vice and I just can�t stop! The feeling of being helpful and contributing in the learning process is something really addicting, and if points come from it, let them just come and they�ll be welcomed. But more than the points, the main reason to keep contributing is the sense of taking part in this one-of-a-kind �worksheeters� (not workcheaters) school.

We see them in our books and we feel we can produce a customized work that�ll be exactly what our students need. Of course we are not writers or artists, but we�re working on it. Paraphrasing a famous politician, if you feel you can learn and help the others with your hard work, �yes, we can!�

And even a soulless moderator � as I am � certainly can.

29 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

"Points, I need Points," said Frodo...  oh wait that was precious.

As we all know when humans are involved there always ends up with several more concerned about out doing others and we have a point system that was initially design for a good thing and can be used for bad as in all things.  I have seen individuals break apart ws and PowerPoints to get more points and I have seen individuals put a whole assignment with 20 slides or pages on one post with only desire to share all of their work.

Besides points some comments to out do the other person is just a humanistic for recognition.  Some people need it more than others.  Call it the extra pat on the back for doing something we are expected to do.  There are individuals that I have seen not interested in points but are putting up many posts in the ws, PowerPoint and comments.  I wish to become one of them, but need more work.  For those we should salute them whenever we can.  For those that desire more points to get the instant gratification let �s not look down on them.  They get what they want or need to encourage to go on.  We are a community of people with many needs and desires.  It is what makes a community.

29 Mar 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Don �t be so hard on people, they want points, we get free ws...more or less original ;o)

29 Mar 2011