Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Ethics: What would you do?    

Ethics: What would you do?

maryse pey�
France

Hi Mar,

you have got a hard decision to take, indeed.

There are, as our colleagues said so well, several points to consider.

Let me tell you about my own experience. I worked for both public and private schools. I have met there jealousy from some colleagues because the students were happy in my class ! Some others were absolutely fabulous and of good support but... a human being is a human being made of feelings rather than flesh ! I had in both schools colleagues absolutely wonderful completely destroyed and spoiled by superiors unable to consider something else than their own interest and profit !

I understand your feelings. There are 2 important things to consider : your students.Why not ask them what they would do if they were you ? You may be surprised of their answer. Of course they may say they do not want you to leave because they feel well in your class. Do you know that, when I taught in the private school, one of my students decided to stay ome more year just because she hoped to be in my class ? I had to leave this school after only one year because I was "gently thanked" not to come enough with my colleagues and to spend too much time with my students...

Sometimes students understand things better... and the headmaster sees nothing else that one �s own prestige.

I am sure of one thing : life is fair and if this new job is for you everything will be ok for everyone in the right way. Let your heart speak but do not throw "a little sure for a big maybe" (as we say in France).

Plenty of hugs and let your reason speaks with your heart.

29 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."Sir Winston Leonard Churchill

Which are you?

What would I do if I were in your shoes feeling as you do?  I�m an optimist - I�d take the opportunity.  Why?
- I would regret a missed opportunity that I really wanted, especially if they don�t ask me a second time
- a chance to broaden my career skills and experience (looks great on my CV)
- an opportunity to implement new ideas and projects in a school that has asked me to come on board
- working in 1 school is better and easier  than working in 2 (for oodles of reasons)
- a change is as good as a holiday
- everyone is indispensable - you current schools will replace you and within a short space of time you will be just a mere memory.  Perhaps a few colleagues and a few students will fondly remember you but most will soon forget (just think of your colleagues that left - how many do you think about?)
- you will be able to maintain contact with those colleagues you feel close to - true friendships never die
- $$$s

What would my mum, also a teacher, the eternal pessimist do? - She�d decline.  Why?
- if they really wanted her they�d wait until the new school year
- she wouldn�t want to let the kids down, they need her, no-one else can get them to where they need to be
- she wouldn�t want to let her colleagues down, afterall they would say it is unprofessional to leave mid-year
- what if the job doesn�t work out and the staff there are downright awful
- what if they don�t pay the $$$s they promise
- what if they don�t like her or her teaching methods and then don�t renew her contract for next year?
- and so on

BUT, at the end of the day only you can make the decision, and then you have to live with the consequences.

Cheers

Jayho

29 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Besides better pay I would look at other things like benefits and how secure the school and job are.  I thought I was leaving for a better job and didn �t check the school out before hand.  Figure why should I, they were sending me ISS paperwork.  Didn �t find out when they let me go after stealing two months paychecks the documents were fake and was told to look to a website for the city to confirm that the school was certified.  It was not and the funny part is the school is labeled as one of the best International schools in the city.  My degree got them the paperwork to stay open.  This might be toward the worst case scenario.

I would still verify the pay, benefits, the classes and the school with the local government.

If all comes up and positives.  Write apologetic letter to your schools that you been offered a dream job.  Mention regretting to leave but you want to fullfill a dream so you do not ruin the relationship with the two other schools.  I would also see if there is a way to transition between the schools to benefit all involved.

29 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you ALL for your comments! Had a chance to read them quickly before my interview this afternoon....

Well....

As many of you suggested, I weighed pros & cons. And as many of you mentioned, reliability is one important factor in hiring someone. I take this very much into account myself when I interview teachers, in one of my schools I am the coordinator, and must interview new teachers. So I do look for this quality in the person I interview. And yes, it would look very bad to just dump my work in the middle of a school year. We never know what lies ahead in the future, and if for whatever reason I might need to come back to these schools, these doors would be closed for me.

And my students. I am such a chicken heart on that issue.

So... I talked honestly and openly with my employer-to-be, and told her that I felt honored to have been chosen among all the people that had been interviewed before me, since what moved her to call me were mouth-to-mouth references about my work, but I made her aware of the fact that I had gained this reputation because I was a reliable person, very professional, and committed to the institution where I worked. And I offered the same to them, my commitment, my professionalism and reliability as long as they gave me the chance to finish my school year, the right way. If this was not possible, then I also understood their position, and to feel free to hire someone else. And thanked them for having called me.

Well, she seemed satisfied with my response. She told me that she did need a teacher right this minute, but understood and liked the fact that I had spoken honestly and that showed her I could be trusted. We agreed to talk again in June to make plans for next school year!Big smile

Thank you again, for all your comments and suggestions! They helped me make the right decision!!!

30 Mar 2011     

yetigumboots
Germany

Well done. Honesty always pays out.   Best of luck xx

30 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

You did the right thing--good job.

30 Mar 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Mar, congratulations !!!! I am sure Life will give you all the good things you deserve.

Plenty of hugs !

30 Mar 2011     

dturner
Canada

As I said on the other thread..... Congratulations.  dt

1 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2