Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > We shouldn ´t say "I have a doubt"    

We shouldn ´t say "I have a doubt"

memthefirst
Turkey

In Oxford Collocations dictionary 2002 on page 237 it says VERB+DOUBT =........,have
I �m still confused :(

29 Mar 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

mem...  basically  if what you want to say is that you want to ask then you say i have a question but if what you are trying to say or express is that you are not sure about something you can say i have a doubt about ......whatever .  in other words it is not right to use i have a doubt  for i have a question

29 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

No need to be confused, memthefirst. Most of the posters have made it quite clear: if you use �doubt � with �have �, you use it as follows: 

I have a doubt about....
I have some doubts about....
I have my doubts....
etc....

...and, as most have suggested, it implies uncertainty; it is definitely not the same as �I have a question � although it might be considered as such depending on the context.

PS In Scotland a cigarette-end is known as a �dowt � (pronounced like �doubt �). So, when the wee boy was urged by his Sunday School teacher to �bring his doubts to Jesus �, he trolled round every pub in the area and ended up dumping a barrowload of fag-ends on the steps of his local kirk : )

29 Mar 2011     

< Previous   1    2