Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Be respecftul with your comments    

Be respecftul with your comments

ivanhoo25
Colombia

Be respecftul with your comments

We as language teachers have to prepare class in advance. If a teacher showed their students a ppt without checking it before, it is their fault.

If any teacher observes spelling, grammar, or other English related problems just make the necessary changes. You can send a POLITE PM to the author. Then, it can be shown to students.

This is a nice,useful, and FREE website for international language teachers. Instead of "complaining" about someone�s ppt, we should help this site to be a kind, respectful, and tolerant site.

* I changed the original word in order to avoid more misunderstandings.

29 Mar 2011      

swissprof
Switzerland

ClapClapClap

29 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Who is �bitching about someone�s ppp �, exactly? (this seems to be fairly specific)

Come to think of it, what do you mean by �bitching �? It �s not exactly a kind, respectful or tolerant word?

29 Mar 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Wow, really nice word from someone, who �s talking about respect.Dead

29 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Good point Ivan.

There will always be a small percentage of members who will write comments about one �s contributions either by PM or in the comments field.  Sometimes these are constructive and sometimes they are not.  It �s best not to take the latter personally.

I agree with the others on your choice of a particular word - you are now doing exactly what you are implying they are doing.

30 Mar 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Oh,  the power of a single word!
Come on, guys, focus on the message not the delivery!

30 Mar 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Sorry, what is ppp - presentation, practice, production?

30 Mar 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I dont think people mention mistakes to bitch - only to let the author know there is a mistake - it might be a grammar mistake in which case I would say it is beneficial to learn from the mistake.  I see a lot of mistakes in complex structures which easy for non-native teachers to make without realising.

30 Mar 2011     

magneto
Greece

Well, if the mistake is pointed out in the comments section (especially if that is done in a not-so-polite way), it may not be very nice, as it may be embarassing to the person who has uploaded a ppt or a ws.

However, I see nothing wrong with sending a PM to the author pointing out (and explaining, if necessary) the mistake to them - politely, of course. As Dawnmain has correctly pointed out, it could be beneficial for them to learn from their mistake.

Just MHO

30 Mar 2011     

ivanhoo25
Colombia

Hi everyone,

First of all, I meant with ppp = PowerPoint presentation,

Second of all, "bitching" has different and possible meanings and intentions.
Slang: a complaint, something very unpleasant or difficult. That �s what I meant.

Finally, the importance is, as someone said, the meaning of this posting, not the delivery.

My initial idea was and still is to support those international language teachers who dedicate time to make their best slides, not to be rude and impolite.

Thanks,

Ivanhoo25

30 Mar 2011