Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Do you...? Long answers    

Do you...? Long answers

anuska8
Spain

Do you...? Long answers

Hi everybody! I was thinking in a grammar question that I suppose is so easy but I have doubts about it.

In Do you...? questions, the short answers are: Yes, I do and No, I don �t. But, what �s the way to write long answers? 
For example, in: Do you play football? The short answers are clear, but the long ones would be: Yes, I do play football and No, i don �t play football or the first answer is only Yes, I play football?

I hope any help. Thanks in advance! 

1 Apr 2011      

maryse pey�
France

if you write �I DO play football � you insist on the fact that you ACTUALLY play football, maybe in a very good way, maybe for a long time yet....
So the long answer will be only �Yes, I play football �; you may add �like you � or �as a lot of students � or some other details if you want to specify.

hope this will help.

1 Apr 2011     

anuska8
Spain

Thanks Maryse, That helped me so much!

1 Apr 2011     

yanogator
United States

I �d like to add just a little to Maryse �s reply about the affirmative long answer.

If you are simply answering the question, you definitely say, "Yes, I play football". If you expect the answer to surprise the questioner, or if the question somewhat surprises you, then you can add "do", to indicate a coincidence or a surprise. Also, if you are confirming a doubt, you can add "do".

Excuse me. Do you have a son at Harvard?
Why, yes, I do have a son at Harvard. How did you know?

Do you have to pay taxes every year?  (I hope not)
Yes, you do have to pay taxes every year.

Bruce

1 Apr 2011