Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to teach a private student in the shortest time possible    

How to teach a private student in the shortest time possible

t.javanshir
Australia

How to teach a private student in the shortest time possible

Hi dear friends,

I have a private student who wants to get ready for the general English section of university entrance examination in the shortest time possible.
Could you give me some suggestions on how to best prepare him for the exam?
Would you also recommend me some books and materials to follow?
I have decided on the following myself:

504 essential words
basic grammar in use
and a book to improve his reading skill such as interactions 1 (reading)

any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance Smile

3 Apr 2011      

maryse pey�
France

first of all do not consider the level the student has to reach. Evaluate his / her true needs. Make a general evaluation according to the level of the exam (s)he wants to sit for. Try to have a blank �exam � and give it him / her.
Once the weaknesses identified make sure with some exercises of the real degree of the need in the point to study.
According to the implication of the student and his / her rapidity of understanding you would be able to consider how long (an average time of course) it would take to revise or study all the necessary points.
If there is a lack of vocabulary ask the student to make his / her OWN dictionary. I mean : does (s)he prefer �verbs / adjectives / common names.... � classification ? �alphabetical � classification first in English than in his / her mother tongue ? �around a root � classification ? �a theme � classification ? ....
Are these specific grammar points ? Take several colors to underline the main elements of the studied topic. Of course the colors will become a personal code for him / her. Give him / her several and detailed examples for each precise point and make him / her find his / her own.
Let him / her choose the book that appeals him / her. You work better with a book you take with pleasure.
Congratulate him / her every time (s)he has understood something, new or not.
Adapt your teaching on his / her �thirst � of learning. NEVER consider the level (s)he is supposed to have : give him / her every possible knowledge that can help him / her to improve in the most deepest way.
English is a very PRAGMATICAL, CHRONOLOGICAL and coherent language. Make him / her notice the similarities in the changing of spelling (for example : words ending with a consonnant + y see the �y � becoming �i � when there is a suffix except the suffix �-ing �.)
Find funny mnemotechnics, if possible his / hers (they may be very personal).
You may be surprise of the very good results.

Hope this could help you. Good work for both of you and do not underestimate your own value or your student �s capacity to work fast ! This is a golden rule because that way you will always suit your student �s rythm of work and you will improve your own knowledge in teaching methods when you will have to understand what the students need !

3 Apr 2011     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you, very nice pieces of advice maryse. But I need more concrete and pragmatic materials to follow. Useful information anyway.

3 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Ok dear,

here some titles I work with :
1) English Pronunciation for International Students - Paulette Dale / Lillian Poms (Prentice Hall Regents)
2) Advanced writing skills - John Arnold & Jeremy Harmer (Eurocentres Longman)
3) Phrasal Verbs Workbook, Helping learners with real English - Malcolm Goodale (Collins Cobuild - The Cobuild series from the Bank of English)
4) Word tests for upper intermediate students of English - Daniel et Eric Turcat  (Ophrys); in this book you have got French translation for the given vocabulary but it is so well done that it may help you with the given examples and the very good tests - all in English - inspired from Cambridge examinations.

Hope this is the kind of information you are looking for.

have a good end of afternoon.

3 Apr 2011