Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teachers make a difference    

Teachers make a difference

Jayho
Australia

Teachers make a difference

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued,  "What�s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You�re a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Order of Canada.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can�t make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make? (She paused again and lookedat each and every person at the table)

I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn�t everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math. They use their brain, not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know about English or French while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.  (Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn�t everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant. You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you make Mr. CEO?

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

THIS IS WORTH SENDING TO EVERY TEACHER, EVERY CEO, EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW.

Even all your personal teachers like mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, coaches and your spiritual leaders/teachers.

Teaching is...the profession that makes all other professions possible!

6 Apr 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

Jayho, all I can say is: Clap

Thank you... today is one of thos days! I woke up feeling a little low, sad.... with a need of a pat on the back! This message was MORE than a pat!!!!

Thanks!!!

6 Apr 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Thank you Mar. 

I�ve just finished I don �t know how many hours of marking (wondering yet again why I put myself through this) when I thought I�d check my e-mail before I log off and look what I found.  I just HAD to post it here (even though I wouldn�t normally post something this long) because it is sooooo very true.  We DO make a difference.

We DO make a difference.

Now I�m signing off for the night.  It�s 11pm.

6 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Yes, when teaching is a vocation you can make wonder and miracles : give a true sense to someone �s life ! When sharing your students � successes you can feel richer and prouder ! What a reward to see bright eyes and smiles ! How exciting it is to see someone starts his future with enthusiasm !

What a wonderful lesson !

6 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

hear it from the original poet, here...
or a slightly calmer, easier to unerstand version, here:

maybe a slightly drippy but IMHO touching presentation in slide show version here:

6 Apr 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Marion!ClapClapClap   The video is wonderful!!!! I wish there was a way I could edit it so I could translate to Spanish and share with my Spanish teacher colleagues at our next meeting!

6 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi Mar, yes, i thought the same..too bad that in Hebrew nor in Dutch it is possible to translate the dual meaning of �to make �..

thank you Jayho for reminding me of this gem..made me cry...again...

6 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you both, Jayho and Marion...Just what a teacher feeling low needs to be reminded of every once in a while!

Goodnight everyoneSmile

6 Apr 2011