Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Writing techniques    

Writing techniques

MissMelissa12
Peru

Writing techniques

I really feel frustrated when I see my students with their compositions instructions sheet looking at me with the " What-the-heck- is- this face" and I help them little by little. But, I was wondering if there is a technical way for them to write a composition in a faster, easier way , one of the reasons for doing this is because I hate to cross their compositions out because it was obvious they used an online translator.

13 Apr 2011      

scampi
Spain

I had the same problems with mine so I decided to break it down into three sections:
Introduction
Main part
Conclusion

Imagine the essay "How have cars improved modern life?"

In the introduction I tell them to agree or disagree ( depending on the type of essay this changes).  Then I ask them to include a general statement about the topic (Today many people drive cars, there are about 2 cars per family etc) and then I tell them to tell the reader what the rest of the essay will be about.(I will discuss both the negative and positive aspects of cars etc.)

In the main part is where they then put the advantages or disadvantages (my students like calling this the main "fight"  as I tell them to imagine arguing with their friends about their topic).  (one advantage is the ease of travel .... In contrast they create lots of pollution.....).

The conclusion reiterates the answer to the question (Although there are disadvantages the advantages outweigh these and so cars have improved modern life) and then I get them to include a statement about something in the future.  (Hopefully in the future, more technology into electric cars etc).  I also give them a list of connectors and expressions and tell them that I want two phrasal verbs, one conditional (depending on level) and extra vocabulary if they need it.  Good luck, I hope this works for your class.

13 Apr 2011     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Oh Wow, muchas gracias !!!

Miss Melissa Hug

15 Apr 2011