Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Games     

Games

nounou96
Albania

Games

What is the game you love playing with your students in class?

For me , my favourite is Pass the ball game that I use for revision ...
The students stand up in circle .Then I start passing the ball to one of them and ask a question . if they give correct answer , I move to the next student but if they give a wrong answer they are out.

6 May 2011      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I love playing vocabulary bingos. They have a great time and learn vocabulary they never forget and also the definitions because you repeat it so many times that they get into their minds.
Yolanda

6 May 2011     

estefy_busso
Argentina

Hello! I love the games you both mentioned! They really work!

One of my favourite games is "Pictionary"! I have a set of word cards, the class is divided into two teams, so a Student from the first team chooses a card and has to draw what the word card says! I use a timer-cook to make it funnier and time them to guess!

Hugs!

6 May 2011     

class centre
Belarus

This week I have been playing the same game with all my sts ( different ages).One st is sitting on a chair his back to the board. I write a word  on the board. All the sts but him or her see the word. So, each one is to say something about this word and the one who is sitting in front of the class is to guess the word. Very funny, motivating and useful. Children are very excited to be called out and to add something. 

6 May 2011     

nounou96
Albania

Thank you for sharing Handshake

6 May 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

Mine is the battleship with Present Simple or Past simple. There is one template from a contributor here, I can�t remember his/her name. My students LOVE playing it! and they don�t realize how much they learn. :)

7 May 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

My favorite is PPP (present progressive pantomime).
I give a student (or two) a card with a verb. They need to panotomime  that verb. (if the card says �swim � they act as if they are swimming)The first students who says the correct structure (correct pronoun, form of �to be � and the correct form of the verb) gets to pantomime the next verb.

For reading comprehension I like to do video sequencing.
I type out in clear sentences what is happening in the video. (he leaves the house. He enters his car. He is driving etc.) I put all the sentences on seperate pieces of paper in an envelope. They watch the video once, then pairs of students get the envelope and start reconstructing the video by reading all the sentences and putting them in the correct order. We check by watching the video again. This works for all levels since you can decide how difficult you make you sentences. Works with all kinds of videos. I �ve done it with silent Charlie Chaplin movies as well as with Kate Perry video clips.....They get so busy trying to put the sentences in the correct order they don �t even notice it is a reading challenge...

7 May 2011     

nounou96
Albania

Great thank you for sharing

But I got few replies, it seems that esl teachers do not use games in classCry

7 May 2011     

customer
Italy

My students love the "disappearing sentence".
I write a sentence on the board, one related to the topic we �re dealing with, then I start deleting some words. Each time I delete sthg I ask a student to "read" the sentence, as if it would be complete. At the end of the game they have to " read" a blank blackboard. It �s very challenging, everybody wants to have a go...

7 May 2011     

lynetteaav
Brazil

I always use games with my students and this really helps give them a break ( especially during three-hour-long classes). One of my favorite is �Word Race �, I divide the class into two groups and then divide the board down the middle and give each group a marker. I then call out go and each member must take turns running to the board and writing out a word in English. At the end of the time we correct the words and count how many points they got. This is a really fun game.

10 May 2011