Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > envy - ing form    

envy - ing form

chiaras
Italy

envy - ing form

Hello!

Can we say "I �m envying him"?. I �d rather say "I envy him" even if the action is taking place at the moment of speaking because as far as I know "envy" cannot be used with the -ing form, but one of my pupils wrote "I �m envying him", so I want to be very sure about that before correcting her!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Chiara

6 May 2011      

la mente maestra
Costa Rica

I envy him . it �s like the verbs "love", "like"

6 May 2011     

chedni
Algeria

hello there. i would like to contribute and give a piece of information in using the gerund which is the adding of " ing " in the progressive tense .according to my my little exeriance ,we don �t use it with  the five senses verbs like "" smell ; hear ; taste . see ; feel( touch) and the abstract vorbs like feel , love like . and envy ,too..etc......

6 May 2011     

memthefirst
Turkey

Do we call it abstract verbs? I think "stative verbs" would be better.I agree with you we don �t use gerund.

6 May 2011     

bibikos
Greece

We call them stative verbs. They belong to the category of expressing emotions

6 May 2011     

chiaras
Italy

Thank you! It is exactly what I think about this matter!

I teach in a vocational school and my pupils make a lot of mistakes, so, by dint of seeng their mistakes, sometimes I �m not sure anymore about very easy rules!!!

Have a nice evening!
Chiara

6 May 2011