Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Best English Grammar Books    

Best English Grammar Books

opez
Spain

Best English Grammar Books

Hi mates!
I was wondering what English grammar books you consider better. I own some which I am very happy with, especially "English Grammar In Use" (the blue one from Murphy) and also Hughes � manual "A handbook of Classroom English" (Not a Grammar book exactly). On the other hand, I regret having bought Parrot �s "Grammar for English Language Teachers", I don �t find it very well structured. I �m very interested in your opinion, but to get my question straight I propose the next questions:

Which English books are you most fond of in your personal library?
Which do you regret having bought?
What few books you consider "must have" for an English teacher?
They don �t have to be grammar ones, only 2 or 3 which you consider essential.

If you like my proposal, discuss :)
cheers!

7 May 2011      

almaz
United Kingdom

I �d recommend Swan �s Practical English Usage for everyone, but I don �t know how I could manage without my Merriam-Webster �s Dictionary of English Usage.

I �d also recommend anything by David Crystal; I �m rereading The Fight for English (How language pundits ate, shot, and left) which is a handy corrective to the Lynne Truss school of finger-wagging prescriptiveness. Jack Lynch, in the US, recently brought out a similarly entertaining look at the history of language pedants, peeves and fusspots called The Lexicographer �s Dilemma (The Evolution of "Proper" English from Shakespeare to South Park).

Oh, and The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language by Geoff Pullum (of Language Log fame) and Rodney Huddlestone.

7 May 2011     

mena22
Portugal

Thanks for bringing up such an interesting topic.
As I really like extensive reading lessons, the books I �m most fond of are:                      Hotshot Puzzles, Oxford, and Penguin Readers, Pearson and Longman.
I also like the Factfiles series, Oxford Bookwarms Library

My favourite grammar books:

- Practical English Usage, by Michael Swan, Oxford
- Michael Vince �s four grammar books for different levels - Elementary/Intermediate/Advanced/First Certificate, Heinemann ELT
- How English Works, by Michael Swan and Catherine walker, Oxford
- last but not least, Stephen H. Thewlis � 4 Grammar books for different levels: Grammar Dimensions - form, meaning and use, Heinle & Heinle
I couldn �t do without them! 

A must have: All the above, but if I had to pick one of them, Michael Swan �s Practical English Usage. Also a must, must  have: Dictionary of Selected Collocations, by Language Teaching Publications, and a subscription to Mary Glasgow Magazines + CDs (Click, Crown, Team, Club and Current, according to the levels we �re teaching), a true source of inspiration.

Have a nice weekend.
Hugs,
mena

7 May 2011     

marta v
Serbia

Besides A Practical English Grammar by Thompson and Martinet and English Grammar in Use by Raymon Murphy, I think Round-up series by Virginia Evans is also excellent! Her books on writing are superb as well. You simply MUST check them out. She �s one of the best ESL authors.

7 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I must say I find all the English Grammar in Use quite helpful (although they don �t always explain things). For technical questions I find "Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English" very helpful as a reference resource. But what I find very useful for myself and for students that are struggling is any book from the Betty Azar series. I couldn �t say which books I wouldn �t bother with as they are never kept or if in PDF they end up deleted. My girlfriend always praises "English File" but I find them OK for small groups only, although the illustrations can be useful.

7 May 2011     

maceman
Canada

I find that the series from Betty Schrampfer Azar - Understanding and Using English Grammar/Fundamentals of English Grammar etc. to be the best for my students.
Regards.

7 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Great discussion Opez. Thanks for posting it.

For my own reference my favourites are Swan�s Practical English Usage and Parrot�s Grammar for English Language Teachers.

For students my favourite is Murphy �s Grammar in Use (blue).

However, I use an assortment of other books and websites depending upon the grammar problem and which book/site adresses it the best.  I am specifically interested in grammar for academic writing and finding a good text for ESL students is a challenge.  So if you know of one please let me know and I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers

Jayho

7 May 2011     

abba
Spain

Hi, I also think this post is great. I love the Grammarway series. They are wonderful. They �ve got a good grammatical explanation and a wide variety of exercises: fill in the blanks, rephrasing, error correction etc. I also like the Round Up series, the exercise book and the CD. I tend to combine both in class. I also use Basic Grammar in Use (Spanish edition) by Murphy for those students that have some problems in learning. The grammatical explanation is in Spanish and it helps them quite a lot.

Regards.

Bel�n

7 May 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

I also use the express publishing grammar books and this year I �ve used the grammar genious series by Hamilton House. It  is very well organised and less packed than the express publishing books. For me the best Use of English book is the Use of English2 by express publishing.
If you haven�t seen the writing series of this publishing company I think you should.They call it Successful Writing.

7 May 2011     

opez
Spain

Thanks for your warm words, dear colleagues, I have plans to update my personal library soon and I �ll take a look to your kind advice then. I would like to provide the next link that I found some time ago where you can find plenty of books to check (... you know, only to leaf through, if you like any, just buy it). Some we recommended in this thread are listed here:

http://www.taringa.net/posts/ebooks-tutoriales/3061163/Collection-of--English-Grammar-Books_-Muy-buenos_.html

By the way, you probably know already but, if you are interested in general linguistics, I recommend you those:

http://dannyreviews.com/h/The_Language_Instinct.html

Steven Pinker is the right heir of Noam Chomsky, which I think was a revolution in language conception. I have the Spanish edition because I was to buy it for a course and it  changed my perception of language completely.

Also this one:

http://sites.google.com/site/theunfoldingoflanguage/

I haven �t read this yet but I�ve heard wonderful comments about it. I �ll purchase it soon. Have any of you read this one?

Regards!

7 May 2011