Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Frightened of????????????????    

Frightened of????????????????

mjpa
Spain

Frightened of????????????????

Is it correct to say "frightened of". I would use the expression "afraid of" instead. But, is it posible to say frigthened of , too?

Thanks in advance.

8 May 2011      

maceman
Canada

Frightened of is commonly used.

He was frightened of walking home alone.
He was afraid of walking home alone.

Have a great day!

8 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

I think that in the US, we use "frightened" more for a single event, especially if it is sudden, and "afraid" for an ongoing mental state.

The sudden car horn frightened me.
I �m very much afraid of heights.

I don �t think I �ve ever said "frightened of".

Bruce

8 May 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

frightened
Sophia

8 May 2011     

amyi
France

In my opinion, "frightened of" is perfectly correct.  I use it and hear it on a regular basis!

8 May 2011     

Ajloona
Poland

According to longman dictionary it is correct.

frightened of
I was frightened of being left by myself in the house.
Her father had an awful temper and she was always frightened of him.

8 May 2011     

franzjosefaut
Austria

Hey. There is certainly quite a difference. Being afraid of something is something in general. A state of mind that exists, and more or less over a longer period of time. Being frightened is a short term feeling influenced by an action or happening, and your adrenalin level skyrockets. So, a dog may have frightened you once and since then you are afraid of dogs in general. Another example: You are afraid of the dark. (Why? Because something frightening may happen....) And, no! You�re not frightened by being left alone in your house. And, no, again! She may have been afraid of her father, because he had some frightening outbursts. (Sorry Ajloona). Greetings, Franz You may contact me at [email protected]

10 May 2011