Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with pronunciation    

Help with pronunciation

ximons
Brazil

Help with pronunciation

Hi, dear friends. I have many problems with correct pronunciation of some words in English. Can anybody know a good free site for help me ? I don �t have money to pay for it. Thanks and today in Brazil is Mother �s Day. Happiness for all moms from this wonderful group. I wait your answer. Thanks. Ximons

8 May 2011      

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello Ximons...

This site is useful....

Have a nice evening

8 May 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Also Google translator has pronunciation too.

8 May 2011     

roneydirt
United States

I put these two sites up the other day.  I prefer the second one.  They are great reference tools to have on file. 

My favorite one to use, and tells the origin of the word and how to properly say the word.  I think this one should be saved in all our favorite file for quick access:

Also if it says (arc.) or obsolete means it is not used in one fashion or another.  arc is for a word no longer used and obsolete is for a definition that the word is no longer used for since some words have more than one definition.

9 May 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

This one is my favourite http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/, the definitions are easy to understand.
Sophia

9 May 2011     

jocel
Philippines

Great day Ximons! How do you do? I �m also using http://www.thefreedictionary.com. I found it very useful. I hope it will also be useful for you...

Hugs,
jocel

9 May 2011     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Does anybody look in an actual realdictionary these days ... and use the IPA? They are those funny symbols next to every word. There are only 40 of them. And by learning them you can instantly pronounce any of the hundreds of thousands of English words. just by looking in the dictionary.

9 May 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, true... but if you want to sound more or less authentic (which is the case here), you need to listen to the native speaker pronounce that word. So I think, all those links to online dictionaries will be really beneficial :)
Sophia

9 May 2011     

jocel
Philippines

I do agree with both of you Darryl & Sophia. A combination of IPA and dictionary will really be very very usesful!

I learned IPA when I was taking up TESOL class. IPA helps me to know how each word is being pronounced. But the way how natives pronounce also benefit me.

So, Darryl and Sophia are both right! Clap

9 May 2011