Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Articles    

Articles

Anna P
Brazil

Articles

Articles are not easy as they seem to be.  I am having a hard time preparing an OE - I �ve been working on it since Saturday!  First, I �m using size 3 for the questions but in the preview the letters are huge.  I deleted, wrote again and still the same problem.  I �ll keep trying to solve this problem.
My question for you is a sentence I made because one of my professors had a house near Lake Placid.
    Dr. Smith has a house in the Adirondacks near no article Lake Placid.
However, in the examples, I wrote that we use THE before geographical nouns - rivers, mountains... so, why no article before Lake Placid? The easier way is to remove the sentence but I �m curious.

9 May 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Just a rule:
Lake Baikal / Baikal, Lake Ontario, Lake Michigan, Crater Lake, Utah Lake, Lake Geneva, Great Pond.
But: the Great Salt Lake, the Great Lakes (5 lakes).
Sophia

9 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Lake Placid appears to be a proper noun already ( it has a specific name), thus we do not use "the" since the nature of the noun is already specific. "The"for "the tallest mountain", "the blue lake" and "the well-known city", we do not use "the" when we refer to something in a specific manner, such as " Mount Everest", " Ontario Lake" and " New York City", if place the word "the" before this noun, they appear to be weird.

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

10 May 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Smile Thanks a lot, Sophia and Sirhajwan!
Articles are really more complicated than I though. We use THE for mountain ranges, but not for mountains; for rivers but not for lakes... not counting the exceptions!
Now I can use Dr. Smith �s lovely cabin in my sentence.  I went there in the Fall when the leaves were all shades of gold, red, orange and brown.  So beautiful!
Thanks again,
Anna

10 May 2011     

franzjosefaut
Austria

Hey Anna.  Here �s the scoop:
Rules are good - knowledge is better.
Neither rules nor explanations make sense when the whole topic is missed.
Your sentence:
  �Dr. Smith has a house in the Adirondacks near no article Lake Placid. �

Clearly no article with Lake Placid, like Sirhajwan already explained.

However, the situation is different with �Adirondacks �.

If Adirondacks is a town or village or such, there is no article, just like with Lake Placid.
The preposition �near � leaves another option: �Adirondacks � could be plural and thus describe an area near Lake Placid like �The Black Hills � in South Dakota or �The Everglades in Florida �.

I have been all over the USA, but never managed to visit (the?) Adirondacks.

I googled �Adirondacks � and found out that �Adirondack � is one of the oldest state parks in the USA.  I can �t find conclusive answers, whether it can be referred to as �Andirondacks �, but that would be the only option to use �the Andirondacks �.

Using the correct name for the park �Andirondack � does not use a �the �.
Example:  I have a cabin in Yellowstone National Park �.

Back to your sentence:
If Dr. Smith has a house in the Andirondacks, I presume it is not in the state park, and thus,  �Andirondacks � probably referrs to a mountain range, like �the Rockies �.  It is, after all, part of the famous �Appalachians!

Hope this is helpful:

Greetings, Franz
If you need information, please contact me at [email protected]
I am not on eslprintables too often.

10 May 2011     

franzjosefaut
Austria

One more thing:

Lake Placid can have two meanings:  the lake or the city/town.

Either way, they are proper nouns.

Greetings, once more,
Franz

10 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Anna

I refer my students to here when it comes to tricky articles.  Maybe it is of use to you.

Cheers

Jayho

10 May 2011