Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The value of points    

The value of points

wolfy
Chile

The value of points

Any economists out there?
The value of a point is 1, right? (1 point 1 download)

When you increase the quantity of money (points) in circulation (30 free points per premium user per day) out of thin air you reduce the value of all the money (points) in current circulation.

From the wiki on inflation:
"A major demand-pull theory centers on the supply of money: inflation may be caused by an increase in the quantity of money in circulation relative to the ability of the economy to supply (its potential output). This is most obvious when governments finance spending in a crisis, such as a civil war, by printing money excessively, often leading to hyperinflation, a condition where prices can double in a month or less."

oh oh, do we have a case of rampant skyrocketing inflation on our hands. �I�d love your thought s on this.

16 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hey wolfy,
I think that even though we have the 30 free points the �value� of a point is in direct correlation to the �quality� of old worksheets. 

If someone desperatly wants one of Vanda�s, Frenchfrogs, Icha�s, or any one of the other great contributions on this site - they need to consider �spending� a point to download it. 

New contributors highly value their points as they have very few.  Imagine having only $5 and trying to decide what to buy, the university course that will help you earn more points (frenchfrogs, logos, and icha�s tutorials) or food to keep you going (that worksheet you desperately want for tomorrow�s class).

Once you have wealth say oh um over 1000 points - you really do not consider the points to be of a high value, and you start to receive more �warm fuzzies� from the appreciation of your work than you do appreciation for recieving poitns enabling you to download.

It is truly an economic society with people trying to protect their investment (STOLEN - Polar bears) while others are desperately trying to get access to the resources...worksheets. 

I love economics - don�t you?  I think a lot of the stolen worksheet complaints and the quality control would diminish considerably if people had to start spending their points to get downloads...

16 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Me too, and when you have 1000+ points you really know (not me yet) how to create great ws, so you need to download much less than before while everytime you upload you�re gaining even more points. �Anyway that�s it for me, got to teach at 06:30 tommorrow morning. �But that doesn�t matter anymore, I�ll check my posts tommorrow, I won�t even have to go through pages and pages of posts (I can�t get over how cool that is). �

16 Dec 2008     

gaby_mn
United States

And ... I dont know about you, but I find such great worksheets that I find myself downloading more than my 30.

16 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Wolfy,
My economics is very weak and I didn�t fully appreciate your point of view until I read Vikiii reply and everything was made clear. I totally agree with Vikiii and you but please less of the economic stuff and more plain talking!

I have been doing some research on membership from each country. So far my general finding are that if you look at any country say Brazil for example after the top twenty members the rest are in the point range from 0-500 so they apply Vikiii perspective.

16 Dec 2008