Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WRITING SKILLS    

WRITING SKILLS

abba
Spain

WRITING SKILLS

Hi, I hope you �re having a nice weekend. I wanted some advice concerning writing skills. I have to prepare my students for a writing test. Some of them are very good and I am not very worried about them because I know they are going to do it quite well, but I �ve got a few that are quite �so-so � and I �m not very sure how I could teach them how to write an acceptable piece of writing. We �ve studied the connectors. They know the basis on how to organize a text, but then when they have to write, that �s a disaster. How would you teach writing to this type of students?

21 May 2011      

bunar
Turkey

some students need to have concrete details to strengthen their ideas throughout their texts, to achieve this,they should read  a lot and get the control of the language. For now, maybe they dont have much chance to succeed it but for the next time you may try to lead them to read,read and read... teaching the outline should be the last thing,if they read they will acquire the grammar, adequate vocabulary and good flow of statements. I have the same problem with several of my sts. they cannot write on a well-designed basis, I hope they will get better.

21 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

a means I use in such a case. I write short sentences and cut them as if they were jigsaw puzzles.

Or

I give some words in the good order and I ask the students to complete them.

Or

we try to find the 1st sentences and they are trying to go on with some chosen vocabulary.

Show them that they can write 5 lines for example. The 1st or 2 1st lines made in common, part or whole of the 3rd partially together and then the last 2 ones by themselves with some given words. Little by little they may become more self-confident.

Plenty of hugs. Have a good week end dear.

21 May 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

I give them clear instructions about the layout/organization, a model tex and ask them to write their own(usually pair work). I  give them feedback about their mistakes and what they should improve before evaluation time.

21 May 2011     

abba
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help

22 May 2011