Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Holistic English    

Holistic English

Nereis
Argentina

Holistic English

Hi!! I �d liked to know what you think about this method. Next year I �m thinking about adding the ALL method, which is a holistic method of learning, in my Institute. I �m interested in the method for babies since 4 months up to 3 years and for pre-scholl up to 6 years old. What do you know about this learning method? What �s your opinion?
Hugs, Nereis

26 May 2011      

Albanta3011
Costa Rica

Hello, Nereis. I think it works well. I have used it with my own kids (4 and 2 years old). They seem to be developing much faster than my nephew who is 6 and is attending a regular course.

Thank you,

Albanta3011

26 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

From what I can see, and there isn �t much on the Internet about holistic English, it �s designed for "older" students who want to acquire English through being acquainted to it... which just sounds like another way of saying "let �s learn English in a practical way, through practical usage..."

For little ones that young, the best way to teach them is to introduce them to English by talking to them, games, cartoons, story telling with pictures, etc.  Basically, do like you would do with a child normally when he/she is learning how to speak, read, do math, read and write.

And Albanta, I doubt your children are learning more because of the method. Children learn at an amazing rate before they are 3 years old... after that they start slowing down. That is why your nephew isn �t learning as quickly as they are. The best learning years are actually when a child is very young - unfortunately, that is also when they are learning to walk, talk, use tools and basically cope with the world around them. 

27 May 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Nereis,

From 3-month-old babies to 8-year-old kids, learning becomes an easy thing as they are like sponges.
I do not think  the  method mentioned is successful for being good, but for the age range it is focused on.
Similar  methods are applied to the teaching of  other areas with the same results.

27 May 2011