Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > QUESTION...    

QUESTION...

sldiaz
Panama

QUESTION...

in addition to  the INGREDIENTS, what is the word I should use when writing a recipe:

preparation?

directions?

instructions?

method?

or any other?

thanks in advanced for your replies Smile

16 Dec 2008      

atsitab
Portugal

I�ve been reading some recipes in English, and they use the work "directions".

16 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yup, it is "directions"... also you can "method" .. but the most common is like atsitab said "directions"

16 Dec 2008     

sldiaz
Panama

THANK YOU Zora and atsitab for your help Smile

greetings from PANAMA!!!

16 Dec 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

In the UK, we use �method� - I�ve never seen �directions� said before.  Another interesting difference:))

16 Dec 2008     

Nawrocki
Australia

You could also include what Equipment you would need to use eg; one bowl, blender, knife
I also use method and explain it as steps that you need to take to make the recipe.

17 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yes, it is interesting how from one country to another we use different terminology... I guess that is what makes English so much fun! Tongue

17 Dec 2008     

sldiaz
Panama

Thumbs Up

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

is it a country thing or based on what cook books you read?  I have quite a variety here including, instructions, method, directions.

I would generally use method myself - not sure why...  And yes we would also have ingredients section usually.

17 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi everyone!

I�m a chef by profession (almost 20 years experience) before turning to tertiary study. In Australia (& according to a lot of European chef�s I�ve worked with & known) �method� is used when providing formal instructions for apprentices. �Directions� is also fairly common, but is informal.

A recipe at trade school would comprise the following group of instructions:

- Equipment
- Ingredients
- Method

This is very similar to doing high school chemistry & physics reports (which might be why it feels sort of right to many English speakers).

On the back of many ingredient containers you will find �directions for use� & a separate recipe with �instructions�.

Happy eating!
B-)

17 Dec 2008