Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Please Help!     

Please Help!

sadeel
Palestine

Please Help!

hi..

please I really need a lot of help. this  year is going to be my first year in teaching english (ESL) and I �m going to teach children (5-6) years old, they know nothing about Englsh and at the end of the year they should be able to read and write . I �ve got thousands of worksheets so I �m not looking for more. but please I need  ideas , techniques,games, methods and songs. any suggestion????
(I �ve got 25 s �s in the class)
thanks a lot

12 Jun 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

Students that age need to move. Songs they can dance to are usually better. 

Their attention span is short so prepare short activities.

Make sure you catch them doing good often and congratulate them when they do. When they love you, there �s not a lot they won �t do for you.

12 Jun 2011     

Hrym
Spain

I used a puppet during the classes and this help me too with children at this age; but like manoski said don�t forget that their attention is short at this age, so don�t make any activity that takes more than 10-15 minutes, use songs as your allies and of course flashcards to repeat vocabulary.Don�t forget interactive funny games using the vocabulary you want to focus in. Good luck! :)

12 Jun 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Song, dance, role-play, stories, fingerplays, feely bags or boxes, pictures.... lots of different short activities in different formations (once you sit on a carpet, once dance in a circle, once play with flashcards), colouring, memory games.... check out supersimple songs and thir activities on youtube - it will give you plenty of ideas! Puppets by all means, I agree!

12 Jun 2011     

Cristina Ann
United States

In addition to song, dance, etc....I try and make up an action for each vocabulary word.  For example, if I �m teaching them the animals, I make up an action or gesture that the students do for each animal.  Then when we sing the animal song, they can do the animal actions while they are singing.  You can quickly assess the students knowledge by saying an animal and have the students do the action without saying the word or you do the action and they must state the word.   I find that the TPR (total physical response) helps the children remember the vocabulary very easily, and they love it.  Try and make up an action for each number too using their fingers.  For example, Six on your hips (three fingers on each hip)When I teach the alphabet, I teach them the sign language for each letter, and then I make up another action for each sound usually relating to a word that begins with that sound.  For example, B is for ball, buh, buh, buh.  And I have the students pretend to bounce a ball as we say the "b" sound.     I also wouldn �t teach more than 3-4 words on a theme a day.  Good luck.   I �m sure you �ll do great!

12 Jun 2011     

Mehlika Sultan
Moldova

hi i �ve been working with this age for more than 3 years. i was the main teacher n used to teach all subjects in english, means i discussed everything in english. this age needs a lot of visuals, songs reading stories from big books, field trips. whenever topic you teach support it by real examples.
as for reading i used Saxon learning. it �s a full set of phonics implemented on incremental approach: repeat old topic go to the new. it includes all the sounds letters vowel cons reading rules, worksheets, small book readers. some of my students of 5years finished this course in 4 months ans went directly to gr1. i hope u can find this curriculum good luck. if any more questions i m ready to help.

13 Jun 2011     

Hrym
Spain

Cristina you�re right i remembered that hehe, i linked the animal image to a gesture/mime about it too; i used to wave my hand simulating the fish moving in the sea, or use my arm in front of my face and make a big noise simulating the elephant�s nose for example, hehehe; with all of this they will enjoy what you say, what you do; acting and miming they will be happy and you too, because they will follow what you want to teach without problems and the most important, they will learn!!! :D.Make them feel themselves as if they were the main actors of the film(so they are), and you will be able to teach whatever you want.

13 Jun 2011     

lalla99
Romania

This may give you some inspiration for songs:

http://www.youtube.com/supersimplesongs

14 Jun 2011     

wilymed
Colombia

Hello, here in my country Colombia children don�t recognize nothing about English but my experience with this age refers different paper guides where they can identify draws and representative pictures. Around of the pictures you can improve the vocabulary that they will use in a story that you focus in advance time, in this form is possible that Ss catch the idea with the reading technique that you pretend to  explain for them.

Good Luck and tell me about it, please. bye

17 Jun 2011     

esltalgat
Russian Federation

Along with acting, dancing and singing encourage them to work in pairs. Sometimes (no abuse!) make them act as a teacher - they like it SO MUCH!

20 Jun 2011