Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > writing Correction    

writing Correction

amoulla
Lebanon

writing Correction

hi everyone , just need to ask about ways to correct students elementary writing.

Thank you in advance

Emily

14 Jun 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello amoulla. It depends on what you are focusing on. If you are doing content or punctuation, syntax etc. Pick one or two things to focus on and correct those things. Elementary kids will be making lots of mistakes and there is nothing more discouraging than having a gazillion corrections on your paper. When I write I like to just get my thoughts out first, then I will go back and fix syntax, vocabulary, punctuation etc. So if you are working on content don �t sweat the spelling and punctuation at first. Sometimes it �s more important to get your ideas down first. Hope this helps.Ed

14 Jun 2011     

Coimbra.com
Portugal

Hi there! I sometimes  write down the most recurrent mistakes and do a pair/group/class activity I call "Errare humanum est". They are invited to correct the mistakes in the sentences ,words or expressions and explain the rest of the class why it is not correct. I choose random examples so they don �t feel they under stress. It raises awareness and it �s peer teaching , which they find �cool �. Hope it may help you

15 Jun 2011     

Mehlika Sultan
Moldova

hi emily
my option is almost same with the above and is better applied in classes of 9 y. olds and above. sometimes i exchange the papers and my students enjoy checking their friends� papers(of course not test). they see the answer key on the board or slide/or we choose the answer together and of course i ask them to argument their answer/or we discuss together. this helps them to be fair, to learn not to do the same mistake twice and to be in a position of a teacher.  and at the end they write checked by ---(name). hope you can try this.
it increases their confidence while speaking, involves all students in a kind of debate and sts get the idea that English is not very difficult
all the best

15 Jun 2011