Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Midsummer celebrations?    

Midsummer celebrations?

cheezels
New Zealand

Midsummer celebrations?

Does your country celebrate midsummer? (Midsommar in Swedish)

Here we dance around a big pole singing the frog song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-tDvlSIU4&feature=related

22 Jun 2011      

Anna P
Brazil

In Brazil we don �t celebrate midsummer (yesterday was the first day of winter) but, on the 24th we celebrate St. John (S�o Jo�o) with square dances, bonfires, typical clothing, delicious food, fireworks.  It �s a tradition we inherited from Portugal and is very popular especially in the northeastern part of the country. June is the month of the "festas juninas" and Saints Paul and Peter are also celebrated.   The two celebrations are different but share some symbols such as the bonfire.

From Wikipedia "As Christianity entered pagan areas, midsummer celebrations came to be often borrowed and transferred into new Christian holidays, often resulting in celebrations that mixed Christian traditions with traditions derived from pagan Midsummer festivities.

Here �s a S.Jo�o square dance.

My avatar shows 2 kids dressed up for a S. Jo�o party. 

22 Jun 2011     

Hrym
Spain

Here in Spain we celebrate St. John too; the night before the saint�s day, people go to the beach and prepare bonfires where they burn things that remember them bad memories, we dance around the fire and jump across it too(sometimes they use the fire as barbeques too); another thing that people does is to dive at 12 am into the sea to bring good luck and "clean your energy", so it�s some kind of purifying bath, or that is said... hehe

23 Jun 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi Cheezels,

in Italy we don �t celebrate midsummer. It is a nice topic ; thanks for posting it!

Have a nice day,
Sabrina

23 Jun 2011     

MWeed
Finland

We celebrate Juhannus, which is tomorrow. The biggest thing is bonfires. Lots of people go to their summer cottages and generally enjoy nature. Everything shuts down for a couple days and the sun sets for only a couple hours. It �s my first Finnish Juhannus so I �m eager to see what it �s like.

23 Jun 2011     

MWeed
Finland

Also, I learned the Frog Song a couple years ago in my Swedish class. We learned it for Christmas and danced and sang at our Nordic Club celebration. Good fun :)

23 Jun 2011