Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Christmas Flashcards    

Christmas Flashcards

Hrym
Spain

Christmas Flashcards

Previously and unfairly accused of being only cliparts were reported and retired; i upload them back again with their names written below them, so that nobody has to put the names to use it(it seems that no one but me could do it) and i explain clearly how can they be used in the classroom, just in case no one knows how to use them because of a lack of imagination... Sorry for being so ironic, I know there are rules, and those have to be followed, but i consider you(moderators) are sometimes too strict with rules, and i really hate it; much more if you take into account that my internet connection sucks and i really have to fight it when i try to upload anything, and i do it with no personal interest, i�m not getting rich or anything but contributing to this wonderful website, so please try to be more understanding while you take decisions or contact people using this impersonal common message of yours we always receive.
Isn�t it easier to send a direct and personal message from a moderator in charge of this asking the person with a problematic sheet or flashcard or whatever to change what should be changed before taking out anything?
I�ve been trying to upload these flashcards three days(because of what i said about my internet connection) so i hope if there�s any other problem with it back again, please any moderator contact me directly and tell me where is the problem and i will try to solve it before is reported or retired back again... Thanks for reading me.

26 Jun 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi

I �m not a moderator but one line in your thread caught my eyes: but i consider you(moderators) are sometimes too strict with rules

There is a reason why rules were made and moderators volunteer to keep the site clean. I know they are trying to remain fair for everyone and most of the time, all they get are complaints from members on the forum. There are many reported sheets in a day and they can �t send a personal message everytime. That �s why you get an automated message. 

26 Jun 2011     

Hrym
Spain

I�m not complaining about their work when cleaning what is wrong, i�m just complaining about being answered by an answer machine called automatic message; we�re people i like to talk with people, discuss what is wrong and repair if possible; if not, i would take out myself the sheet or whatever, i�m just asking for this; maybe is too much, i�m sorry if that the case.

26 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

I was once a moderator and I can tell you that if I was asked to personally get in touch with a member when their printable is reported, I would have stopped moderating because of the high number of reported pages.

However, I had a page reported once and what I did was to get in touch with someone who has enough points to access the moderating page. That �s how I got answers to my questions.

26 Jun 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Dear Hrym,
I usually spend about 1 hour a day checking the reported contributions - and I rarely have time to check them all!  The amount of copied or non ESL work is amazing!  I consider myself a very calm and fair person but, sometimes, by the 6th or 7th copy from bogglesworld.com or Vanda, I feel like giving up. 
Moderators have to check if the ws was really copied by going to the source to verify and this takes time. If it is from a blog we have to see who the author is (then my internet expires and I have to start again) because sometimes people upload here and on their own blogs - which is OK.  If the ws has been reported because of watermarked cliparts I usually send the author a PM asking him/her to change the pictures.  If it is non ESL material that can be easily edited to turn it into an acceptable ws, I also send a PM.  Do I get replies?  Very, very rarely.  Most people simply don �t care.
It would be impossible for moderators and especially for Victor, to send PMs to all reported contributions.  I �m sorry about your flashcards but I hope you �ll understand that we are all trying to do all best. 
Anna

26 Jun 2011     

Hrym
Spain

I do understand your hard work in here Anna, and I appreciate it; i don�t know how many moderators are in here, and that wasn�t a direct attack to any specific one; it wasn�t really an attack anyway but a way to show, just how i felt when i received the automatic answer about being reported; i asked to this impersonal message what was the reason and i received another automatic answer... I understand that everyone has their own life out of here and spends here the time he/she wants, helping, uploading, revising and so on, but if we forget that we are people and make everything in an automatic way, there should be a red light somewhere to tell us that this is a wrong way. Much more because this site is based on sharing not getting anything in exchange but your personal satisfaction, or maybe a little help; it seemed even a paradox to me...but anyway i�m sorry if i annoyed anyone, because what i really wanted was to make this more human, nothing else.

26 Jun 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Oh, dear Hrym, you didn �t get my point.  I was not annoyed and did not see your question as a direct attack to moderators.  I was simply trying to make you realise that the moderators � work is HUGE and personal messages to all the members who have sent the reported contributions would be simply impossible.  No hard feelings. 
HugAnna

26 Jun 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

"this site is based on sharing not getting anything in exchange but your personal satisfaction, or maybe a little help; it seemed even a paradox to me"

Even if your printable is reported, you can reupload it and you may still download 30 free worksheets every day- that �s 10,000 FREE worksheets yearly. In my honest opinion, you get a really SOMETHING in exchange, my dear!

It may seem unfair when the printable gets reported, but technically speaking, we should share our own original work only, so if  the rules were really strict, you would have to upload your own pictures only :-D

Things may seem strict but they are not unreasonably strict. Once I wanted to share some worksheets on a german website and they were rejected because of the illustrations. Some websites do not allow to upload any pictures except those drawn by the autor of the contribution...

Basically the rules are here to prevent some newbies to upload a few pics copied from internet and call it a worksheet. There should be some value added, the extra exercises, vocabulary cards, suggested game rules etc. Each country has its own picture/card games, so it is always very useful to share the rules. Some members are young teachers without any experience so it may help them tremendously.
If you upload the pictures regularly, you may write the rules and suggestions once and copy them to each printable you share (ctrl+c, ctrl+v is a matter of 5 seconds...;-)

A collection of pictures only = a pictionary is a worthy resource. For example your BW pictionary of food and clothes is a very nice one. Did you draw it yourself?
Charming!

I think it would be really difficult to ask moderators to send PMs but the reported contributor can always send PM any online senior member with over 5000 points and I am sure he/she will have a look in the reporting section and give detailed reasons why the printable was reported...

27 Jun 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I understand you feel hurt but please do not take it personally.
Many of the senior members got his/her worksheet reported and they still contribute and help this website to grow.
It is a sad thing to have a contribution reported, but the printable can always be edited and uploaded again...

27 Jun 2011