Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > consonant or vowel?    

consonant or vowel?

alien boy
Japan

Jamie and Jimmy are classic diminutives for James - ask any Scot!

I�m pleased you don�t mind your thread being high jacked. It can be fun to go off on a tangent Wink

19 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Ahh.. Brycey... we wouldn�t do that to you! LOL

The "ie" thing is becoming more popular I have noticed. It looks better I guess... more sophisticated perhaps, like "Marie" the French version, instead of plain ole "Mary"

Shortening of names is another fun thing... like Mike - for Michelle, Sam - Samantha, Lynn - Linda/Lynda - Les - Lesley... Sid - Sidney/ Sydney.. (now which is the boys� name??)

Goodness, high jacking a board is the best thing... much better than complained about "S-t-o-l -e-n" worksheets! Wink

PS: Never heard Evelyn as a guy name! Wow... poor guy... LOL  (just joking)

19 Dec 2008     

Apryll12
Hungary

Yes, you�ve got a point there, Zora! By the way, what�s the nickname you like to use for Zora? Or is that already one?

19 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

It�s already a shortened version of "Zoraida"...  but the honest truth is my real name is "Linda" - I picked Zora because I like the name and it usually isn�t taken when I sign up somewhere. Smile

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Well, the following names....

Sydney Pollack (bloke)
Sidney Poitier (bloke)
Sidney Nolan (painter, bloke)

Sydney Coale (actress)
Sidney Greenbush (actress)

So it can be used either way for both genders. With the Beckham�s naming their little ones from the city they were conceived in you may hear a few more �Sydney�s over the next few years too!

I had agirlfriend named Lesley at one stage. Another girlfriend at a different time had a father named Lesley! No, I didn�t get confused between the two of them...

Marie/Maree/Mary and the name is also Japanese - Mari (without any European influence)

19 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Now.. let�s move on to weird names! Or aka parent�s with a sick sense of humour .. Tongue 

Example - calling your kid: Henry Henry, or "Tiny" and the child is six feet! 

Oh and for real... I know of a "Mary Christmas" ... 

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Well, I know a couple of bad ones... Just check out Frank Zappa�s kids - Dweezil, Moon Unit, Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen. His other child is Ahmet Emuukha Rodan - I reckon its the most reasonable of the lot. Bet the other three copped heaps at school.

Names suffer from cross cultural translation too. If my wife & I have children I�ve been banned from naming them. I like �Nathan� for a boy but it sounds too much like �Onee san� when spoken with a japanese accent. Onee san means older sister. I like �Imogen� for a girl , but that would be like calling her �spudman� or �potato man�...

P.s. I am sticking to names that I hope will not offend anyone. I have known a few others with very very bad combinations of given and family names...

19 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Okay... Mr. Zappa wins hands down with those names... Confused  they are amazingly bad - he must have been smoking something really "good" when he thought up those babies... His kids must have grown up telling all their friends their names were "Dennis, Marcia, Martina and Andy!"

I�m afraid that I�d have to agree with your wife on the "Imogen" ... Here in Spain, they have some biblical names that make you just go "ouch" poor kid - what did he do to deserve THAT.. like - Angustias (Anguish) and Purificaci�n, (Purification)... 

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Gotta love those Spanish Catholic names (not).

my wife and I have shortlisted �Ivy� but names need to be in Kanji or Kana for japanese birth certificates. There�s really no �v� in the Japanese character sets, but the Kanji we like would translate as Ai bi which means something along the line of beautiful love (if I remember correctly). Kanji is a little quirky though - some characters have 20 or more different pronunciations!!!!

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

I wonder where my last post went? Maybe I�m talking/typing too much...

19 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >