Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Pronunciation of "the" and "a"    

Pronunciation of "the" and "a"

spinney
United Kingdom

Pronunciation of "the" and "a"

Hi Peeps!
Now, I �m a native speaker but that doesn �t mean I �m a good English speaker. I make all the mistakes that natives make and none of the mistakes that non-natives make. However, I �ve spoken to other teachers before about this and have never had a satisfactory reply. Why do we pronounce "the" as "thee" sometimes and "thu" in others. I know we say "thee" when we want to emphasize the importance of something but that �s all. And while I �m at it, why do we say "ay" for "a" sometimes. I really can �t think why but sometimes it seems better to. I can �t see a pattern though. Any thoughts on this? Could it be an antiquated form that has lingered without a rule attached? Is it the same as the "either" problem (is it "eyether" or "eether") in that it �s up to the individual? Or is it something far sinister to do with the Norman conquest and the likes (if in doubt blame French Vikings)?

5 Jul 2011      

Minka
Slovenia

Coming from a non - native speaker (and I know I can be mistaken):

"Ay" and "thee" when we put stress on it. 

- when we want to make the difference between the two clearer (No, I didn �t say a (AY)  difference, but THE (thee) difference.) 

Have you eaten the sandwich?  I �m not sure hat you mean. I ate a (AY) sandwich half an hour ago. I �m not sure it was the one you made for me.

- THEE when we want to make sure the other person knows it �s about something or someone specific (or special). Useful for dramatizing a little: I have tried THE (thee) best cake in the world. I have met THE (thee) cutest guy ever!

- when we talk about the articles themselves: I think there is an a (ay) missing here and a the (thee) missing in the last sentence.

In all other cases we use the weak forms. 

I �ll be waiting for corrections now so that I can learn some more. Hope you like the answer, though.

6 Jul 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

British vs American English? "/eyether/" (British) / "/eether/" (American)

"ay" - I think native speakers use "/ay/" to emphasise the article "A" or to "slow down" the speed of speaking (when it doubt, thinking what to say next...)
I think I have seen "/ay/" ... blackbird in the garden. (The speaker is trying to remember the name of the bird)

"thee" - to emphasise or before a vowel  pronounced
- "/thee/" apple, "/thee/" Eiffel Tower, "/thee/" internet, "/thee/" old book, "/thee/" underground
Have you found "/thee/" pen?  (= Have you found that really expensive  golden pen I gave you last Christmas?)

PS: I make (many) mistakes that non-natives make so I may be wrong... Wink

PS 2: I agree with Sophia - ueslteacher "a as /ei/ when we stress the meaning "one"
PS 3: I have also seen some films with slang/regional English and the poor were "overusing" /thee/ to give a strong emphasise. On the other hand an uneducated factory-boy pronounced "the" as /thuh/ all the time.
So maybe ignoring the rule of  "/thee/ + pronounced vowel" suggests a lower social status (poor, uneducated...) in films / period dramas?

PS 4: my British teacher told us to use "/thee/" before vowels so that our sentence "flows" smoothly without any unnecessary stops / breaks.
Please note that there should be "/thee/" hour because it is pronounced with a vowel in the beginning of the noun. Beware of the silent letters followed by vowels...

6 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Spinney.... well, as I learned it, we say "thee" when the next word begins with a vowel as in: "the" (thee) airplane, the onion, etc.

and we say "thu" when the word begins with a consonant, as in: "the"(thu) book, the chair, the table, etc.

I did not learn this pattern in a language school, or as English as a Second Language. I learned this in school, in the United States, I grew up there and did all my schooling as a "native" speaker.

Although I have no answer or clue for the "a" issue! Embarrassed

Hope I was of a little help!

Hugs,

Mar

6 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

1) the is pronounced "thee" (apart from the case you mentioned) before words that start with a vowel and that �s a rule I �ve been taught e.g. the Earth;
2) we pronounce a as /ei/ when we stress the meaning "one";
3) as far as either/neither is concerned, I was taught that the difference in pronunciation is the Am Eng/Br Eng variants.

from a non-native to a native

But there are experts out there who could explain it much deeper and better than meWink
Sophia
P.S. Goodness! While I was typing some three or is it four people were posting tooShocked

6 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

I think dear Les can clear this doubt in a more thorough way! Hope he posts soon!

Cheers!

6 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Spinney,

I �ve come in very late and have worked on it for a short while.  I �ll complete it tomorrow.
Goodnight.
Les 

6 Jul 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

- /thee/ before vowel sounds (e.g. the /thee/ enemy)
- �a � should not be pronounced as /ay/

I think these are the only rules language learners need. As for deviations from the norm, I always say there are always exceptions to rules. Also, some people seem to overuse /thee/ and /ay/ which can be a bit annoying sometimes (some newsreaders as well as US presidents seem to have this affectation).

6 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Wow! Typed this before bed and awoke to all these fantastic replies. Very illuminating. It looks like it �s the vowel/emphasis thingy. I heard that before but wasn �t sure. It must be the poor uneducated Fenlander in meLOL I remember talking to an American at our school about the "eether/eyether" puzzle and she told me that it didn �t matter. However, the US isn �t really one country so much as a great big melting pot so perhaps in her state it didn �t really matter but in others it goes as standard. Anyway, thanks again folks. You �ve made my day!Thumbs Up

6 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

I think Philip said it very well. Keep it simple.

Bruce

6 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

To make a long story short:

The (tha) sound before a consonant sound and
The (thee) sound before a vowel sound.

The same applies to an and an.

6 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >