Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > on or in    

on or in

yanogator
United States

No, spinney, we wouldn �t use "the" here. Either "a", meaning we aren �t specifying which Thursday, or no article, which would then be referring to last Thursday.

Bruce

12 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

@yanogator. With respect I beg to differ. If we were to refer to a particular Thursday that was either mentioned before or to emphasize that it wasn �t on a Friday morning that was also included in the conversation in some way. e.g. "Last week we went to France. We left on the Thursday and arrived on the Friday." Although it is more common to omit the article it is correct in the context of reference to that particular week. Mind you, I read the sentence wrong and it said "a Thursday" not "the Thursday." So I screwed up anyway!

12 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

This could be a UK-USA thing, but I �m with Yano on this one. 

I would NOT say:
"Last week we went to France. We left on the Thursday and arrived on the Friday."

I would say:
"Last week we went to France. We left on Thursday and arrived on Friday."

For me, "the" would only come into play when I spoke of "the Thursday before Christmas" for example. 

For the original question: "on a Thursday morning" is correct ("on Thursday" if you mean last Thursday).

Douglas

12 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Looks like the Boston tea party all over.LOL It could be one of those little differences but more honestly it just sounds OK to me although I swear we definitely say it in the UK. It �s used in a similar way to the example you gave with reference to a particular day (such as Christmas or the Thursday before). Having said all this, I think I might trawl through this site for some American/Brit differences. I don �t know who it confuses more, me or the students!Ermm

12 Jul 2011     

< Previous   1    2