Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Looking for an Idiom (Broad hint)    

Looking for an Idiom (Broad hint)

libertybelle
United States

Mariethe!!Heart

Breathing down ones neck means something else.
It means someone is pacing you to work faster or is on your back about something.
It �s pressuring someone to hurry up.

L

14 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Thank you Liz! So that �s what they were doing! i am glad I resisted!LOL

14 Jul 2011     

Mietz
Germany

BTW - in "my" part of Germany we "wave with a fence post" - if it �s just a small hint. We "wave with a lamp post / lamp pole" if somebody really is not getting a message. We don �t "winken mit der Dachlatte" or "dem Scheunentoor (barn door)".
However - it �s not just about wanting people to leave. It �s more like having to give just one too many far too obvious hints - whatever the occasion. The other day one of my very beginner students just couldn �t come up with the spelling for "Saturday" during a test. Well - we have a chain here called "Saturn" selling electrical appliances. So I said in German - "The competitor of �Media Markt �..." That is just another example for "waving with a lamp pole". Smile

14 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Mietz - having people leave was just an example - this expression can be used in many situations.  The main thing is that people just don �t get the hint - so matter if it �s subtle or yelled from the highest hill !! LOL

14 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

A slight correction Liberty--The main thing here is that the hint is VERY obvious.

Mietz--Barn Door (Scheunetuer) is Bavarian and Dachlatte is what my colleague used (Schleswig-Holstein)

14 Jul 2011     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

The only expression that comes to mind is �with as much subtelty as a slap in the face �.

15 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

Thanks Bally,

"as subtle as a slap in the face" gets pretty close.

In the end, I think I will add Liberty �s new idiom to my vocabulary:

"to hint with a ton of bricks"

Douglas 

15 Jul 2011     

< Previous   1    2