Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching tools    

Teaching tools

ivush
Czech Republic

Teaching tools

One more DIY teaching tool for today and I wont bother you with my madness any longer :) This is a double sided pointer for short answers practising. You twist it in your hand, raise questions and students know if they are supposed to answer in a positive or negative way. Material: pointer from games about the police, green adhesive paper, marker.

I got this pointer red on both sides so I used green adhesive paper to stick it on the red field, then I drew the smiles with permanent marker :)

Enjoy!

14 Jul 2011      

Theangel
Costa Rica

VERY NICE IDEA!!!

14 Jul 2011     

Mallerenga
Spain

Wow!!! Fantastic idea!
I �m collecting tetrabrick tops and now I have to look for something like that. What a creative summer!!! If I can �t find something similar I think that I can use an ice-cream stick with some card... uuuuhhhmmmm

(The picture is my husband who is the creative at home. He adds that our house is like a mini-recycling factory)

14 Jul 2011     

EnioTigre
Argentina

I think you donno bother with your DIY teaching tools. actually, they �re very useful for those of us who are starting with this beautiful job.... You inspire us. thnks

14 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Ivush,

I have something similar.

Instead of looking for these sticks in Games, (which are expensive), you can do what I do.

I keep the plastic stirrer that you get in a drink with ice, in a bar.  (I think that we call them "Swizzle Sticks"), and they are used for stirring your drink.  Very often, the plastic stick is a long thin piece of plastic with a circular "head", on which is printed advertisement.  But often, they are just blank.  After use, the bar just throws them away.

I use these for all manner of things.

I hope that this helps.

Les

14 Jul 2011     

ivush
Czech Republic

Hello Les, thank you for this great idea. What do you use them for? What activities? Thanks for sharing.

14 Jul 2011     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

You inspire us!!

I remembered those little yoghurt t glass bottles to put clips inside!It �s neat and simple!

You just add some colured felter and glue it on the tap!

14 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello ivush,

In class, I write letters or words on the Swizzle Sticks, and Students must make a word beginning with that letter, or a sentence containing that word.

I also use these Swizzle Sticks often in a Magic Performance, for a variety of Tricks.

I sometimes use the plastic name-tags used by Gardeners to mark the end of a row of seeds.  They are sold, a hundred at a time, for a few pence.  They look like iced-lolly sticks, 100 mm. long, but have a �V-shaped � end, to stick in the earth.

In class, I use a pencil, and write, for example, �book �, �machine �, telephone, �information �, �university �, etc. on separate sticks.  (I teach adults).

I have a piece of polystyrene, (old kitchen tile), or several jars.  Students must say the word, decide how many syllables it has, ( �University � has 5), and stick it in the tile in the circle �5 �, (or put it in the jar marked �5 �).

The name-tags can also be used for words that rhyme; verb, noun, adverb, adjective; and pairs of name-tags for General Knowledge, (Country and Language); etc.

Later, I wash off the pencil words and re-use the name-tags.

When I have time, I will photograph some of my games, (but home commitments keep me very busy).

Congratulations!  I think that your ideas are super!

Les

14 Jul 2011     

ivush
Czech Republic

Cool ideas, thank you, will think about them! Ivush

14 Jul 2011     

mis miriam
Argentina

hello ivush! great idea! I �m an english teacher from argentina & here we don �t have this pointers. they don �t exist! :-((((( what can i use instead of? and i don �t understand when u say taht they are both sides thered one is happy in 1 side and sad in the other and the same for the green one?
kisses from argentina!
miriam

14 Jul 2011     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Well, any ideas with coffee sticks?

15 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >