Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

thedropper
Japan

Word of the Day

Thanks to Ed for choosing me as the winner.  I think it is fun to think of new and whacky definitions but it isn �t for everyone.  So going along with my idea, I am going to pick an easy word that most should know and see if we can get some whacky alternative definitions.

Here goes, todays word is LOLLYGAG

The official defintions is "to move slowly, fall behind"...let �s see what other definitions you can come up with.

16 Jul 2011      

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

LOLLYGAG is LADYGAGA �S son!

16 Jul 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Lollygag is the medical term for choking with a lollipop.

16 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

lollygags are lollipops used  to make jokes on people:

16 Jul 2011     

Mr Jazz
France

Hello �Longtarin � (frm Gaston Lagaffe)! Long time no see...

16 Jul 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

no, ladies and gentlemen, you are all mistaken

lollygag is the desperate act of a mother on her, let �s say, fourth child.

(She has been through it three times already, all this fighting for getting the kids to clean their teeth, to lay off too many sweets and sweet drinks for their teeth�s  sake, all the trips to the dentist, all this imploring, threatening, screaming, going on about the advantages of sugar-free drinks, all the locking into the bathroom and trying out new brands of toothpaste and electric toothbrushs to make the daily ordeal easier.)

With her fourth child, she just can �t bear it any longer, she �s ageing prematurely herself, dealing with her hormones and her husband who is absent more and more frequently as time spent with his blonde beautiful secretary has so much more lure than a house full of kids and teenagers and an exhausted and stressed out wife.

Sorry, digressing again.

Anyway, with child No. 4 she just won �t have it any longer and when this litte brat who refuses to clean his/her teeth and makes a scene about it twice a day comes along with a lollypop AGAIN she simply rams it down his/her throat and thus lollygags him in a way that will make him avoid lollypops for the rest of his life and pass the trauma on to his own children and children �s children.

So much for this word and its meaning.
Now for a theory I have been harboring for many years.
I am a mother of three and have seen it all three times, and here is what I wish would be possible:

I think a mother who has been through her child �s early years with illnesses and broken nights, with tantrums and bruises, then through the school years with fights over homework and the wrong friends, then through puberty with - no, I won �t name the miseries of puberty, too close to home - anyway,---
I think this mother should be awarded a STICK or some sort of storage media with all her efforts and experiences on it, with all the tricks and results, and, instead of going through it all again for her second, third, fourth or even fifth child, should be able to simply stick this stick up the child �s....  - well, some sort of USB port would have to exist on the child �s body - and then let it all unfold and happen without her having to interfere, to fight, to implore, to warn, to despair another time.
She has twice deserved it ....

16 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

Hello, everyone!
thedropper, are you sure this is what lollygag means? I �m not so sure... I think it �s the simple (but sometimes quite serious) mistake an F1 lollipop man makes, which gets everybody laughing, even with irritation. Big smile

e.g. -Look at Andrew over there! He just pulled a lollygag again and the F1 car left the pit stop station missing a wheel!
       - Oh, not again! This guy should be called "master of lollygags"!Ouch

16 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I don �t what dictionary you guys are using but mine says: LOLlyGAG...The gagging sound some make when Laughing Out Loud..

16 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Getting a lollypop stuck in your throat and gagging on it!

16 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Elderberry!LOL  I simply could NOT stop laughing when I read about your suggestion of sticking a "prior experience" stick up the..........child �s USB port!!! LOLLOLLOL

I couldn �t agree more!!!! I �m a mother of four, and each one gave me such headaches! (I think that �s the answer to my now almost daily migraines! LOL)

Hey, guys! I �ve just had an idea! Wouldn �t it be fun, and to give WOD a different angle, that we (all participants) could "vote" for the winner? The member who got more votes could be nominated winner, that way I think different participants could have a chance at winning? Well, just a thought. By the way, I think that Elderberry with this "suggestion" gets the nomination big time!

Well, my wacky daffynition for LOLLYGAG is:

"Lady Gaga �s nickname as a baby: Dollygag, but since her baby brother couldn �t pronounce "dolly" it became "lolly"Wink

16 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

The word LOLLYGAG is one of those odd words that is often mispronounced, even by monolingual polyglots --- Trolley Bag; Dolly Fag; Poly Bag; Jolly Hag; Folly Brag; Brolly Flag; Collie Drag; Molly Crag; Volley Nag; etc.

There is a wild opinion among some German speakers that a Lollygag is a type of Flash Stick, (if you will pardon the unintended rudeness), which is inserted into the USB, (the Unhappy Somebody�s Bottom), to download directional data.

In other words, it is a device which can provide you with Life�s Elixir --- or, as they say in Scotland, �Alec�s �ere�!

Please, don�t be misled by the glamour of the computer and the Internet.  Remember that old saying!

Nerds call it: �Surfing the Net!�  Human beings call it: �Typing in your Bedroom!�

Some say that, because �Lolly� is slang for �money�, a Lollygag is a piece of cloth used by a Bank Robber to �gag� the Cashier, and prevent him calling for help.  Even a student who has just begun to study linguistics would laugh at this explanation, (�Ha-ha!�).

To any linguistic expert, the obvious development of a suitable word would be: �Money-mouth-cloth�.

And, Yes!  In a town in Scotland, you can buy a famous woven material called Monmouth Cloth.  Need I say more?  

However, all of this talk about Lollygag is mere guess-work, (or, if you are reversing in a car, gear mess-work).

Nowadays, we have an express coach, (an express bus), but centuries ago we had a wagon pulled by six horses, �a coach�.  Due to the muddy tracks, (roads), this coach was almost always late, and it became known as the �slow coach�.

Today, in English, someone who is a �slow-coach�, (in the USA �slow-poke�), is a person who is always late.

Noam Chomsky, in his ground-breaking dissertation: �The Work of Excavators and Bulldozers�, explains it all. Due to the influence of his Transformational-Generative Grammar the original word for Lollygag has been massively influenced by all 20 English vowels and diphthongs, plus most of the 24 English consonants.  This word has been fundamentally transmogrified.  Or, as normal people say, �completely changed�.

In its present-day form it is �Lollygag�.  But 337 years ago, on Saint Swithun�s Day,  it was �Slow-coach�.

LES

16 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >