Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > caption game winner!    

caption game winner!

valentinaper
Greece

caption game winner!

I �d like to thank nurikzhan, Catalina Sorina, Wonderful teacher, Libertybelle, Douglas, eng789, teresasimoes, urpi, Ed, Les, Gia Mel, zenlee, gabitza, poleta, ueslteacher and elderberrywine for taking part in the game, providing witty captions for the picture.Clap
I �d like to pass on the torch to ZENLEE, for the clever pun!Thumbs Up You can read her cartion here.

Ed, I had never seen this ad before, but, as Douglas pointed it out, I think it must have been pretty successful, though sexist to the bone!LOL

19 Jul 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

I don �t know if sexist, I think they were trying for elist, , but it was geared towards women and getting them hooked on "their own cigarettes" just like the Marlboro man was geared towards men.

19 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

At the time, Virginia Slims commercials were hailed for recognizing and promoting the Women �s Lib (liberation) movement.  The commercials were not meant as sexist, they were actually meant to be encouraging.  "You �ve come a long way baby."(you have come so far you can even have your own cigarette that men aren �t allowed to have) -- may seem pretty sexist today, but it was actaully celebrating achieving a milestone in the fight for women �s lib.

Douglas

(and it sold cigarettes)

19 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

I realise that I just conceived it as sexist (today), and, of course, it was not meant to be at the time the commercial was being played. But I was just amazed at this example of how much things have changed, although not necessarily for the better (as Douglas implied in his caption.) Thank you both for posting your answers here. Hug

19 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Douglas for this great information on women �s lib history!

I guess women who are hooked on cigarettes now, don�t consider it a victory! Things change! And publicity has always been very clever! But interesting info all the same.Smile

19 Jul 2011     

zenlee
Korea, South

Funny Picture for the Caption Competition from Zen Lee...what funny captions can you think of for this one?

20 Jul 2011