Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD July 19th    

WOD July 19th

spinney
United Kingdom

WOD July 19th

Thanks for the nomination Ed! Here �s my tuppence worth. The word we need a daffynition to is flifflecatch. Good luck people!Big smile

19 Jul 2011      

Mariethe House
France

It is a trifle tricky word to catch gullible people at Esl printables!Big smile

19 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

flifflecatch is a children �s game. They try to catch flies which are flying over a trifle !
(Alliteration of "f" and "l" is killing me!!!Beer)

19 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I�m actually familiar with the origin of this word. I lived Brooklyn across the river  from the famous Fulton Fish Market in Manhattan.  Dale Fliffle was fisherman from New England, Gloucester in Massachusetts if I�m not mistaken. Dale would leave his wife Mariethe and his seven daughters, Liz, Maria, Valentina, Marianina, Zailda, Teresa, Linda and little baby twins Frank and Adrian in early April to fish the waters of the North Atlantic for three straight months. He was an excellent fisherman and seldom did he make port without an abundance of fish. When he finally came to port, he his sons Les and Bruce and his other crew members Douglas, Jose, and Ronney would form a long line much like a bucket brigade to unload the huge catch from his boat The Libertybelle. They would toss the fish from one crew member to the other until the whole catch was on shore and packed in ice. The tossing of the fish and of course the catching of it was done with much flair and precision. The art of the passing along the fish in this manner became known as the Dale Fliffle toss and catch. Then it was shortened to the Fliffle toss and catch now it is known simply as the flifflecatch. If anyone has seen the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, they may have caught, no pun intended, the fifflecatch at the beginning of the movie in the fish market scene.

19 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

@ Ed: ClapClapClapClap

I am proud just to be included in this wonderful family!!!
(And, as its member, I can verify that everything Ed says is actually true! Dale, our father was a renowned fish merchant in Brooklyn! Wink)

19 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Ed. I �m going to copy and paste that one. Excellent pronunciation practice for my students and a fine tribute to all contributers here! Had me rolling around the office that one! :)

19 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOLHugClapThumbs Up  Ed!

19 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Ed Clap  Brilliant!You are in top shape today! Thank you so much!
 Btw How did you know my Dale was such an incredible man? God! all these daughters! All of them so bright and clever !( However , just a little mistake: Mariannina is our Granny here on this site!Big smile) Never mind !)
Yes, My Dale was such a tosser and a catcher, especially after 3 months at sea! Awwww! Good memories...!  Embarrassed
 Just want to share this photo I found on flick �r . I love it !

19 Jul 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Not fair, Ed. Who would dare try after that?...

20 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I just get inspired sometimes. Can �t stifle the muse you know.

20 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, not wanting to court favouritism and in the interests of fair play I hereby nominate Vanlentinaper for the next WOD.
Dale

20 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >