Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD for the Weekend of 23-24 July 2011    

WOD for the Weekend of 23-24 July 2011

douglas
United States

WOD for the Weekend of 23-24 July 2011

Hi All!

Time for a new Word of the Day.  Since it �s the weekend, I won �t be picking a winner until Monday.  So let �s see what you �ve got:

the word is:

AUTOHAGIOGRAPHER

For newcomers, the idea is top make-up a daffy (funny) definition for the word.  The game is to help stimulate creativity and to get us teachers to "think outside the box"--a very important skill for being a good teacher.

Post your daffynitions below.

Cheers, Douglas

23 Jul 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

A witch that writes about herself.

23 Jul 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

auto - self
haggis - a Scottish dish
grapher - person writing someting down

Meaning of the word:
Someone writing down a recipe for haggis that cooks itself automatically.

No idea whether it �s magic or simply technology, once you have the recipe, all you probably have to do is provide the ingredients and wach the dish cook itself.

My, I �m glad this was invented and I hope the concept will expand to other more international dishes that cook themselves.
I �d be the first to buy the cookbook!

23 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

AUTOHAGIOGRAPHER

Although there are only two definitions, to date, for the word AUTOHAGIOGRAPHER, I must confess that the erudition demonstrated is positively bind-moggling.

Ed, or to give him his Sunday name, Edrodmedina Nuncio Pablo Placido Domingo Ruidoso Sabado de los Angeles, is in excellent form.

Using the absolute minimum of words, in a few, concise, terse, short, brief, succinct, pithy phrases, he gives us a compressed, abridged, condensed, abbreviated summary of the word �autohagiographer�.  His command of English is unequalled, even by non-speakers.

His description is matchless, transcendent, unparalleled, incomparable, exceptional, state-of-the-art, second-to-none, supreme!

Unfortunately, it is also a load of rubbish!

Or, as the Germans say, �Ein Load von Rubbish!�

German is a very easy language to learn, especially for children whose parents speak German.  When I was in Germany, I noticed that children as young as 3 or 4 could speak the language fluently.

Did you know that every German noun begins with a Capital Letter?  You didn�t?  Well, it does!  Now, that�s an extremely good idea!  It is really easy to recognise House, and Taxi, and Banana as nouns.

I think that we should have that system in English.  I�d even extend it and have every verb ending in a capital letter, so that you would have words like sinG, and dancE, and eaT.

And adjectives could be in italics; and adverbs could be underlined; and determiners could be in bold; and pronouns could be all CAPITAL LETTERS; and prepositions could have s p a c e s between letters.

So YOU woulD havE the most beautiful Words, a l o n g s i d e each other, ONES YOU caN writE easily, similar t o THIS.

Then when we get a complicated question from a Teacher on ESLP, asking:

�What part of speech is this word?� we can answer: �It�s one of T H E S E words!�   

We pass quickly to the description given by Elderberrywine.

Incidentally, a customer entered a restaurant and gave instructions to the waiter:  �Waiter!  Wine!  For my friends!�

So the waiter raised his mouth to the sky, like a wolf, and went:

�Ow-w-w-ooh-ooh-ooh!  Ow-w-w-w-ooh-ooh-ooh!�

Elderberrywine was uncannily accurate in her description, with her reference to haggis.  Sadly, when using the verbs, she confused the vocative case with the ablative case, with the result that her luggage went in a completely wrong direction.

The plural of �haggis�, is, of course, �haggi�, in the same way that the plural of the Hebrew words, �cherub� and �seraph�, are, �cherubim� and �seraphim�.

The word autohagiographer, is an Americanism, from America, formed from the words �automobile�, �haggi�, and �photographer�.

In other words, an autohagiographer is: �Someone who takes photographs of herds of haggi from a moving automobile�.

It is a well-known zoological fact that the haggis is an animal that has two long right legs and two short left legs to enable it to run more easily UP the mountain tracks, anti-clockwise.  (Strangely, no haggis has ever been seen wearing a wrist-watch, so scientists are baffled by its ability to know the difference between �clockwise� and �anti-clockwise�).  Once at the peak, the haggis is easily captured, because it cannot run DOWN the mountain, clockwise, and it is stranded!

Unlike the British, the Americans cannot pronounce the word, �car�, consequently, they must use the easier word, �automobile�.  The automobile in question has different-sized wheels on each side, for going UP the mountain, (hence the word �differential�).  At the summit, these are removed and exchanged, left-for-right, and refitted, for the journey DOWN.

It can all be summed up in that Scottish greeting, known and loved the whole world over: �Losh me, haud yer wheest ye scunner, the noo, afore ah cock-a-leekie yer widdershins!  So ah wull!�  This phrase is so well-known internationally that I will not insult you by giving a translation!

Les

23 Jul 2011