Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Speaking     

Speaking

fernanditom612
Bolivia

Speaking

Hello everybody, I started to teach advanced English and obviously they like to talk. Well the problem comes here. I have them discuss the topics from the book, i start taking notes of their mistakes; however, they make a lot of mistakes. And u know i don �t have to many hands to take notes. What can i do? 

26 Jul 2011      

Lorcan
Germany

Hi Fernand

There is no need to make a note of every slip of the tongue that students make. Concentrate on one student at a time and note the mistakes he or she repeatedly makes. Then deal with some of these is a later session - but without pointing the finger. Have fun Lorcan

26 Jul 2011     

psd4fan
China

Pick your shots. Focus on one grammar point or another and work on that until there is an improvement.

26 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

Personally, I correct many mistakes as they speak--especially those that can change/confuse the meaning of what they are trying to say.  As my students and I get to know each other they get used to the correction (done softly in a conversational tone) and I focus more on where I feel they need the most help.  In time even just a look communicates a mistake and they correct it themselves. 

Please understand, this is done in a very non-threatening, conversational, friendly way.  Afterall we are all working towards the same goals, if I have to correct too often, I may comment "sorry, but it �s my job to correct you."--they usually understand.

26 Jul 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I teach Upper Int & Advanced and they always thank me for correcting them as they speak. Obviously I only correct when I feel it will not stop the flow of conversation. I am very careful with the shy ones.
Over the years I have had so many say that they appreciate me doing this as (they say) so many teachers do not.

26 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I would correct them as they speak but only when it does �t interrupt them too badly.

I �d also take notes and focus on maybe five most common mistakes that they make. Different five next time and so on.

I �d try to make them understand and remember what the corrections are about, so that it would be enough to remind them a little as they speak. So maybe there could be some (short) notes of what you correct in a form of posters in the class.

26 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://busyteacher.org/3723-how-to-correct-mistakes.html

26 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

One of the best ways to stifle a conversation is to correct the person as they speak. Maybe you can record the convesations and then play them back and analyze them together.

26 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

There �s definitely an art to it Ed.

26 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@ Douglas You�re right of course. I can �t argue with what works for you. I teach little ones. It sometimes doesn �t take much  to get them to become self conscious.

26 Jul 2011     

paugyg
Argentina

My advice would be to focus on two or three students per class (that  �s what my teachers at university used to do). This way you can provide a more in-depth feedback for each of your students, and you don �t have to go crazy trying to take notes about everyone �s output. You should let the conversation flow naturally, and without telling your students which of them you �re going to be listening more carefully, you take down notes on a slip of paper for each student. When the class is over, or while students are engaged in an activity, you can approach each of the students, give them your feedback and discuss their mistakes with them. Of course, if as the conversation flows you notice some serious mistakes made by other students, you can make a point of this after the conversation/debate is over.

26 Jul 2011