Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD 26/07/2011    

WOD 26/07/2011

Mariethe House
France

WOD 26/07/2011

Thanks to Gloria and Sylvia for choosing me as the winner. 
 Today,, I am going to pick an expression rather than a word, and see if we can get some fun daffynitions.
 Don �t use a dictionary, just your imaginationSmile
This is another kettle of fish.

I will announce the winner tomorrow night.

26 Jul 2011      

mary-butterfly
Brazil

Hi Mariethe, looking at  the picture ,Kettle of fish is a lonely  fish ou person ,very nervous because the weather is boiling hot! Am I right?

26 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Kettle o fish as it is known in Coney Island in Brooklyn New York, is a a tasty concoction made similarly to Kettle Corn. Small bits of fish are fried in peanut oil and sprinkled with  cinnamon and dipped in caramel . MMMM, yummy!

26 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

A kettle of fish, despite sounding like some kind of meal, is in fact a hat worn by people that live in or around the confines of the river Fish in the Irish Republic.

27 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

LOL LOL LOL

27 Jul 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

it �s a metaphorical expression for something that is impossible, that does not exist. Just like a kettle with fish in it does not exist.

Like in:
"Children who go to bed voluntarily without being sent, coerced, forced by their parents? A kettle of fish!" (Wish they existed...)
"Men who don �t shirk marital discussions? A kettle of fish" (Never seen any.....)
"An employer who offers a pay rise? A kettle of fish" (Always have to fight for one ...)

27 Jul 2011