Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD of the day    

WOD of the day

mary-butterfly
Brazil

WOD of the day

For today the word is

"zigged before you zagged"

Try to guess this idiom in a funny way! no dicionary meaning!

GOOD LUCK!

28 Jul 2011      

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

You go one way and then you change your mind??

28 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

It is like the beginning of a fairy tale:
Zig and Zag went to market and they zigged and zagged along the road but something went wrong and Zig zigged before Zag zagged. Fortunately the road went straight again and they didn �t have to zig or zag anymore and arrived safely at the market where they bought some zig zag ribbon , or was it zag zig? To put on the brim of their little flowery straw hats!
 The end!Smile

28 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Nice one Marie!Smile 

It �s a hunting term. In the Fens of Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire, one says you "zigged before you zagged" when hunting pheasants in a particular way. If you move in a zig zag pattern across open ground the pheasant cannot see you because of an odd combination of optic nerves and the position of the eyes. However, the zig zag movements must be timed in periods of 5 seconds and if you zig too early then you "zigged before you zagged" and the pheasant flies away.Geek

28 Jul 2011     

mariannina
Italy

"zigged"= close the zip of your raincoat
"before zagged"= before it starts raining pheasants and dogs LOL

28 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

zzzzzzzzzzzzigging beerrrrrrrrrr (hic!)

before zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaagging up!!!

28 Jul 2011     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

The winner is

Mar0919

her answer.

zzzzzzzzzzzzigging beerrrrrrrrrr (hic!)

before zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaagging up!!!

zigged before you zagged means
"if you do things in the wrong order, you zigged before you zagged

MAR0919 is your turn now!

29 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Oh my God, I �m thrilled! Thank you, Mary!!! I �ll post new WOD soon!

29 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Zigged before you Zagged�

This is an unusual expression, for a variety of different reasons.

For example, when in uniform, French sailors never �Zig� before they �Zag�.  Why?  Because their trousers are always Toolong and Tooloose.

Jacques Offenbach is a French composer whose music is very much liked by British audiences.  His most famous operetta is: �Orpheus in his Underpants�.  My uncle has a musical dog, and if his dog hears this Overture, he will often bark.

�In the Tales of Hoffman� there is a tenor aria.  (The word �aria� is an Italian word, and is the Third Person Interrogative Past Pluperfect Subjunctive of the verb �to be�, or �Are you?� in Modern English.)

This aria is �The Leg End of Kleinzach�.  I don�t want to go too deeply into the translation, for fear of offending anyone, but, in the German word �Kleinzach�, you can see the two words �Klein� and �Zach�, (�Little� and �Sack�).  Delicacy prevents me explaining more!

Many quiz-masters have been misled by the name of a cigarette paper, �Zig-Zag�.

However, this is a specialty paper which requires the smoker to puff smoke out, first from the left of the mouth, and then from the right of the mouth, alternately, without pause.  The only individuals who can do this with any success are United States� District Attorneys.  In fact, for someone to become a District Attorney, I think that he must be able to smoke like this throughout the whole of Part I of the Entry Examination.

But of course, the phrase, �Zig Zag�, originates from the �Backward Language�, originally developed by the Mohican Indians, famous as shoe-makers, with their treatise on cobbling, (shoe-repairing): �The Last of the Mohicans!�

Incidentally, I have a friend who assures me that all Redskins are descended from Geordies.  When two tribes meet on the hillside, the Leader calls:  �Ah knaa yee!� and his counterpart replies: �Ah knaa yee �n� aal�.

A well-known expression from this ancient Mohican backward language, used at the English tea-table is: �Ass-p the ugar-sh, ease-pl�; which every English school-child can translate: �Pass the sugar, please�.

Here, we have the final clue in the gaj-wis, the gij-was, the jig-saw!

�Giz the Gaz�, (�Give me the Gas�), is a typical Tyneside expression for a family on a camping holiday, when someone wants to be given the gas container.  When it is said in Backward Language, it becomes �Zag the Zig�, but if someone says it incorrectly, it becomes �Zig the Zag�.

Hence, the person is accused: �You Zigged before you Zagged�.

Les

29 Jul 2011     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

thanks idthemagicman

29 Jul 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Les!
You break me up! LOL  Do the puns ever stop coming? I particulary liked the native american cobblers.

29 Jul 2011