Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Poems are not an ESL resource!    

Poems are not an ESL resource!

Lucia13
Armenia

Poems are not an ESL resource!

I got a message from the administrators stating that my worksheet has been removed for the reason that it �s not an ESL Resource.

Just wondering "POEMS ARE NOT AN ESL RESOURCE"...

Would appreciate if you shared your opinions with me...

Is it necessary that they are acompanied with exercises and activities,are flashcards accompanied with activities?

2 Aug 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Dear Lucia: If you wrote it yourself, it �s not a problem. Should be accepted. I wrote stories in the form of minibooks , without any task or activity, just for the pleasure of reading and they were accepted.  This is a lovely poem for young kiddies!Smile If not, just add alittle gap filling exercise or something of the sort . Don �t worry, smart lady. Enjoy your day.Hug

2 Aug 2011     

sona21
Czech Republic

The problem is that the poem was written by Barbara and Sue Gruber. See the link:http://www.columbia.k12.mo.us/she/1stpoem.htm So, your work is just a copy of their poem. It would be accepted if you added your exercise like gap filling or looking for rhyming words etc.

2 Aug 2011     

Lucia13
Armenia

Dear Mariethe and Sona,

Thanks for clearing out evth.Unfortunately,I �m not an author yetWinkjust a teacher who loves including poems in teaching and I find it a very effective method of teaching,especially with kids.

I got this material from an old friend( a teacher) and couldn �t give you the exact source,and I don �t hide that it �s not my poem just I organized it in a cute way to use as a handout to my students.

Anyway, now I know that every time I use other authors � poems in my worksheets they should be accompanied by some sort of activities,

Thank you,
Have a good day!

2 Aug 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Dear Lucia13,
please check the rules. We may upload text copied from non-esl sources, but we always have to include our own original exercises, follow up activities, game rules, flashcards....
It is stated in the rules:
  • Your contributions must be your own creations.

• If you have a worksheet that you didn �t make yourself, don �t send it.

• You can use texts from other websites or books in your worksheets if you add your own exercises or activities (For example, reading comprehension questions, etc). Please don �t take texts from other ESL websites or books, it would be unfair.

• If your worksheet is just a reading text, it will only be accepted if the text is written by you.

See: Rules and instructions

Even the rule number one is self-explanatory. If the contribution must be your own creation, you cannot upload a text written by somebody else and call it "my own creation". Easy. I always say that at least 60% should be new original work - original exercises, teacher �s notes, game rules, bookmarks, boardgame, flashcards, conversation starters, gap-fill /matching exercises etc.
IF you look at "your" worksheet, you will see text written by Mrs Gruber and lovely border and picture drawn by some clever artists (but not you). So it is 100% work of someone else. You clearly designed the cute layout, but it is not enough, sorry...

The size limit of 500kB allow us to upload up to 20 pages of exercises + resized / small cliparts. So don �t worry, we can always upload many many pages of our OWN exercises and teacher �s notes...
It is easy to join several single-paged worksheets and upload a collection all-in-one. Just add the information about the number of pages in the description.
Good luck.

2 Aug 2011