Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How would you continue?    

How would you continue?

Mietz
Germany

How would you continue?

Dear colleagues,

I �ve been teaching a couple of total beginner classes for a few weeks now with adult students who are motivated but pretty weak.
So far I �ve done loads of practise on the alphabet + spelling e-mail-addresses, the numbers, dates, time, etc. I �ve tried to make it fun and interactive. Still - the tests I �ve written with both classes did not show good results.Ermm

I �m feeling rather torn now. I think, that these things are the basics and they are needed in business life (one wrong letter in an e-mail-address could lose business, same with wrong telephone or order numbers...). (All of them want to go into office jobs...)

Would you do more practise with them now to create a better and more solid basis, or would you continue with a new subject (like "Office activities and Simple Present" or "Telephoning")? Have you experienced similar situations? What worked well with you?

One more thing - they are studying other subjects, too and given that they are all on a rehabilitational training, they were told, that they shouldn �t work outside school. (I �ve got them 4 lessons a week.)

Thanks for being around!
Mietz

2 Aug 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Could you keep practicing the old stuff adding a little bit of something new?
Could you suggest practice outside your classroom, something like mobile learning? If, as you said, they are motivated, they will be eager to participate. Take a look at this http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/mobile-learning maybe you �ll find something for your ss.
BTW here�s a wonderful sound chart which can help your ss with pronunciation http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/mobile-learning/sounds-right
Sophia

2 Aug 2011     

jamiejules
France

Hi, if I were you I �d change topics but I would reuse some of the stuff you did before. It is quite common for a beginner (child or adult alike) to perform poorly in a test but then days or weeks later become better at the same topic without putting too much work into it: they build layers and strengthen their knowledge:
you could as you pointed out work on telephoning and get the students to call a potential client (another students who created a fake ID card) and ask questions on the phone about their names adresses email addresses... they would then be put in a role play situation and may learn quicker. (don �t do pretend phoning but real one: in two different rooms with real phones.)
Make it a challenge as well : they could set up a real email address for the course, the caller would then (at the end of interview) send some information to the email address to check if it is received...
I hope that helps
have a nice evening

2 Aug 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

How about numbers + time - for a group of 4 students? Students must listen carefully to finish the game... 2 Time GAMEs

Or try some conversation cards (as Jamie suggested). These usually work fine...

2 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

speaking of ID cards check these out:
Sophia

2 Aug 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

It is never easy to start learning anything, especially and even more so when you try to do it as an adult. Adults mostly have to do stuff for work and that �s the origin of their motivation. This motivation is burdened with so many things that it is highly different from the motivation of children. Plus, adults are afraid of failure and ashamed of mistakes, which is a brake in their learning. This is something I �ve learned from my experiences with them. Trying to make it fun for them was a great thing, but sometimes grown-ups just want �easy �, finished formulae to cram up, and that �s it. You �ll have to find balance between fun and discipline. I know it sounds funny when I use the word discipline in this context, but adults need it, perhaps more than children, esp when learning something. As your students are beginners, it makes their progress even more difficult - you can �t teach them all the wonders of English you �d like to, if they don �t know how to introduce themselves properly. And there �s also the question of not being used to tests any more, and on your part - of being realistically aware of how much they can advance in a certain time. Using props, such as speaking cards, sure helps (I have the Who Are You? ws you might want to check with some of those and some ideas as well) for any topic. Basically, before you expect a lot of grammar, you have to cover some vocabulary groups - the basic ones, such as body, clothes, jobs, describing people, food, etc. It �s a lot of work, and a lot of vocabulary to remember, and our adult brain already has so many boxes filled with everything else, that you need to be patient and selective - don �t provide too much vocabulary, find the right measure. Be understanding, but be persistent, and most of all- be open with them. Choose your words, but tell them when something is not enough for their lives. Adults also function differently and are set in their ways a lot, so provide various activities in class as well as advice for self-study. Some people love to learn using the internet (use online notebooks offered here and at www.englishexercises.org and some good online grammar sites for self-study, and even free online word games), some still learn best playing word games like kids, some like crosswords, some make the most of audio books, whereas some learn a lot just watching movies (in which case I always tell them to use English subtitles as well, because then they get the audio and text at the same time and it advances reading, writing and vocabulary retention.)
I hope some of this helps - I wish you nerves of steel and lots of patience. Wishing successful learning to your students! 

3 Aug 2011     

Adri Ana
Brazil

Go on with a new subject. Make them face a new challenge. Then, go back to the previous issue as a review. They �ll understand there �s so much to be learned that they �ll become more engaged.

3 Aug 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Honestly, when was the last time you needed to write down an email address or phone number someone dictated to you?

Exchanging phone numbers, names or email addresses simply isn �t done anymore over the phone. People exchange business cards, use IM or social networks etc.

Dates and numbers are probably the most important when agreed to over the phone, but then again, wouldn �t you confirm an appointment or order by email later anyway?

In a nutshell, I do agree basic skills are important, but don �t panic too quickly when students are a bit slow or keep making mistakes. Just move on to the next subject and review this topic regularly later on. 

(I shudder when I think about office activities and Simple Present - is that where you explain that you make coffee for the boss regularly, reply to emails and pick up the phone occasionally? Also �Telephoning� is starting to sound a bit archaic nowadays. Shouldn�t that be relabeled �Communicating� and comprise Skype, IM, video chat, social networking etc.?)

3 Aug 2011     

ladydeath
Mexico

Oh dear relax, you need to be very patient to see good results but as you know the learning process is cycling so maybe they don �t know perfectly a lot of things but as they have to use them in the following topics they �ll be forced to learn them and little by little you �ll notice they are getting better.

I think you should continue with the new subjects.
Good Luck!

3 Aug 2011     

linda306de
Germany

I also teach beginners quite often in retraining courses for the unemployed (Umschulungen/Fortbildungen) from the employment office. I  begin a lesson with a review of the last one (Test Yourself Quizzes for example). With beginners you have to constantly review. I have often experienced adult learners who forget a lot or the in next lesson have no idea what we didi last time. That �s normal for me so I review a lot. And I take in consideration that English is only one in many subjects so I have definitely lowered the standards to match the level of each group. It �s important to give them some activities that are fun and easy, where they have a feeling of success.

Personally, I feel it is better to go on to the next topic. Sometimes the students need longer and you will discover that they still know things from previous lessons.

Don �t give up. I �m sure the students need some time to get used to learning a language.

Best Wishes and much success!!!

By the way, my cat �s name is Miezi.

3 Aug 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Dear colleagues,
Thank you for your extensive answers! I don �t have much time right now, but will think about it later. But having even just skimmed through, I already see a bit clearer. :-)

Thanks again!
Mietz

3 Aug 2011