Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I cant stand making lesson plans! is it bad? :(    

I cant stand making lesson plans! is it bad? :(

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

The level of bureacracy and amount of paperwork required by some institutions (mostly state ones) has always surprised me greatly. Luckily, in the language center where I work we have to submit only lesson topics, and this is done post-factum, at the end of each month. I am a very spontaneous person, and I also like to have a lot of flexibility to be able to adapt the lesson to what my students actually need at the moment (if I suddenly discover that something is not clear and has to be revised or explained again, I will surely stop and do that before we go on). So, our relaxed environment is ideal for me. However, my friend works in a langauge school where an amazing amount or paperwork is submitted each month by all of the 30 teachers who work there. As a result, people responsible for checking this stuff spend ages on it and are always late with actual feedback when it�s needed.

21 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Now for an answer about my approach to lesson plans (I�ll look at education systems later this week on a new thread, when I have better internet access & more time!)

I like to have lesson plans prepared at least a week in advance. I keep each lesson plan that I use & will soon be creating an electronic archive for handy reference!

My lesson plans take the following format:

- Date of lesson
- Time/length of lesson

- Objectives: e.g. by the end of the lessons the students will have been introduced to, will experience...
I usually keep the objective fairly general rather than as specific as �will be able to ...� because of the different ability levels of the students in my classes. Also it is sometimes difficult to validate if an objective like �will be able�, �can use�, �will know� as so much depends on what you interpret �knowing� and �be able to� to mean. This may be a little pedantic but certainly helps when you are dealing with bureaucrats & people�s opinions.

- Curriculum links: how does it relate to syllabus outcomes, etc. I usually use point form to link specific lesson activities with specific desired learning outcomes as they relate to curriculum.

- Resources/equipment/room arrangement: what do you need? what space do you need? will the space change during your lesson? will you change locations? etc...

- Lesson strategies: outline the timing and sequence of activities; describe introductory & concluding activities; outline the responsibilities of the teacher & any assistants/aides if the lesson is a cooperative activity.

And the most important part (particularly as a new teacher)....

- Evaluation: How will I know students have achieved or made progress towards the objectives?
After the lesson - What went well? What could I change? I give the lesson a critical appraisal.

Another important thing I have found with both myself & 99.9% of new teachers is that we try to put too many things into a lesson and maybe idealise our outcomes a little too much. Yes, it is very important to set a high target, but remember it has to be achievable - so challenge yourself & your students. Reach for the stars, but don�t be like Icarus and fly too close to the sun!!!

Well, that�s my thoughts & approach anyway!

22 Dec 2008     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I understand having a lesson plan is very important for teaching. I agree. Well I cannot make any other template than the one they give me at the Institute :S I might propose something new though. I�ll definitely use your ideas, Alien boy. I�ll start to see a way to adjust myself to the lesson plans. Anyway I�ll use the formats and ideas you all posted.

Thank you bunches!!

22 Dec 2008     

a-Maya
Mexico

SmileHi, I�m new in this forum and also in this website
I�m from Mexico and I�m a english teacher.

I have some examples about lesson plans but they are according to the purpose of Mexican education.

Also I have some methodological readings about how to make a successful lesson plan with some examples.

I can upload this files!!!!
Bye!Wink

6 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2