Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > let īs try to understand    

let īs try to understand

Anna P
Brazil

I strongly agree with Mariethe.  The world would certainly be a better place if we had more Mariethe Houses sharing their wisdom, sensibility, concern and love for others.

10 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi, me again! lol

People always have choices Mariethe. Nobody forced those people to loot shops, turn over cars or attack others. People do what they do by choice. There are jobs in the UK, schooling is still fairly good, people are not held back by a class system like in India, etc. So there is no good reason for this violence. This has just become an outright excuse to steal and cause mischief and mayhem.

And by "dregs of society" I DO NOT mean poor people. Hell, I doubt that the majority of the looters and rioters after Day 1 were the poor, honest and hard-working folk. No, I suspect they weren īt ... and by "dregs" I mean bottom of the barrel, people with no scruples... "dregs of society" can often be found anywhere in society - from the poor layabouts to the ultra-rich jet setters. 

10 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Honestly Linda I can īt agree with you! You have to check your information about unemployement in England and Education( what is demanded of teachers!!)  !!!
 As far as the dregs are concerned, I know what it means and I checked my dictionary as I am non native!!Smile  " what"s the most worthless in a society"!
Of course I did not mean the clich� you are talking about: Poor and honest people!! ( I would never dream of calling these people the dregs or anybody else!!)
What I meant was: Do you choose to be the most worthless part of sciety? How do you get to be part of that population? Is it just inherent to your character?
As for Education in great Britain , I would like you to hear some friends teachers of mine and the difficulties they encounter in the system !
We donīt have the same point of view, but, remember: I am older!!LOL and I bid you good night!

10 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You did take my illustration personally.
I never doubted your goodness, Mariethe.Smile
Now, here īs real story. A man from my church (a well-to-do kind), a father of 4 children was one night shot by his neighbour before his children īs eyes, when he came home from work, bc he shot his neighbour īs dog who was constantly bothering his children, and who he asked his neighbour to leash. Both men had the other option, but they chose violence. When someone is angry at you, you don īt expect them to really take the old rifle from the wall and kill you. Sometimes it īs a quiet envy that is eating your neighbour īs heart and they keep their life private and you don īt always notice until they choose to act.
Anyways, you īre absolutely right about the education and the conclusions to be made.
BTW I think, if this happened in a different country, the police would be blowing the rioters away with water from fire hoses or using tear gas or shooting them with rubber bullets. Don īt take me wrong, it īs just an observation. I think the police in the UK are more people oriented so to speak (didn īt want use liberal towards their own people here).
Sophia

10 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. Wink

By the way, my boyfriend, who lives south of London, says that the rioting and the looting going on now is basically just an excuse to get free stuff. That īs sad if you ask me.

And Britain īs unemployment rate is about 10% whereas Spain īs is just over 20% and there is no rioting here because of it. You might take a bit longer to find a job in Spain but you can, and the same thing in the UK. Sorry, I have to say that that excuse is a poor one at best. This whole thing is sad and I am ashamed at todayīs youth.

10 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

As far as I am concerned I firmly condemn free violence. On another hand I has read unbelievable (?) information I would like not to spread as they can be too pessimistic. Or too realistic ? I am not good enough in a lot of subjects too īdelicate � for my simple mind.
I dare hope my received īinformation � might be wrong... I do... I would like to stay a little bit naive and optimistic.
My heart hurts with all the British, with all the sincere people around the world. On another hand I am obliged to reflect and consider ALL what I can read, heard. What is actual, what is only lies ? I am not sure we are told everything... Too threatening maybe ?
Or are we only puppets in a cruel world ?
Our work of teaching is one of the most wonderful in the world. What for ? To make the youth better understand some adults are too powerful ? ...
I swear I don īt want to polemic...
As I said upper, my heart hurts, my soul hurts... human beings can be their best friends or their best enemies according to what there is in their heart...
As far as I want to keep my mind safe I prefer my place, my humble place in order to obey REASON and SINCERETY as often as I can.
Let īs pray (just to give a word) to see as soon as possible people recover their sense of thinking taking in account the whole ībody � we are...
With my hope and faith in Life and Truth.
Maryse.

10 Aug 2011     

< Previous   1    2