Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > My Day    

My Day

Minka
Slovenia

My Day

New school year is coming (here) - it starts on September 1st.

One of the very basic things that I (we, I believe) teach our children is how to describe their ordinary day. The texts describing it, are often very similar to each other. 

So how do you feel about describing your day, knowing that I or any other English teacher can use the text in class? For reading comprehension, changing from 1st to 3rd person singular etc.

Or would you rather describe your day from the point of view of one of your students?

HERE�S MY DAY:

I get up at half past five. I have a cup of coffee. I have a shower and I get dressed. I go to work at half past six. When I get to school, I make coffee for eveyone and get ready for class. I start work at half past seven. I like my mornings slow.

My last lesson ends at ten to noon or twenty to one. I go home at one o´clock. I often go shopping before I come home.

At home I make lunch. My husband, my son and I have lunch at around three o´clock. I clean the kitchen.

In the afernoon I prepare the lessons for next day. Sometimes I go for a walk or to practice archery, together with my husband and my son.  I go shooting  three or four times a week, for about two hours every time.

I watch TV, make dinner and clean the kitchen again. We watch some more TV, we talk and get ready for bed. I go to bed beteen 11 p.m. and 12 p.m.

12 Aug 2011      

Apodo
Australia

OK - Here �s mine. Every day is different so this is my Monday.  @minka You don �t leave much time for sleeping!

My Monday

I wake up at 7 o �clock. I have breakfast in bed. My husband gets up and makes breakfast and brings it on a tray. We have a glass of orange juice, a bowl of muesli and a cup of tea. I get up at quarter to eight and have a shower and clean my teeth. I get dressed in my gym clothes. I have a quick cup of coffee and then I drive to the gym for my exercise class.  The class starts at 9 o�clock and finishes at 10 o�clock.

After the class at the gym I go home and get ready to go to work. I work at a community centre teaching English to adults. I work from 11am until 1pm.

I come home and have lunch with my husband. We have a sandwich or soup. In the afternoon I prepare worksheets for the next class. I practise my flute for half an hour. Sometimes I go shopping.

I prepare dinner and we eat at 7 o�clock. My husband washes the dishes. I watch TV or work at my computer. I go to bed at eleven or eleven thirty.

12 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Nice! Thanks! Smile

12 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

The Beginning of My Day.

I wake up at around 5:30, check to make sure I still have a pulse. I crawl out of bed making sure I don�t wake up my wife. I drag myself to the bathroom and take care of business and shower too. I put in my teeth and make sure my hair is on straight.  I meander to the kitchen to see if there is anything worth eating in the fridge. I shave some mold off a couple of slices bread and put it in the toaster as I pour some orange juice in a short glass and down it with an assortment of vitamins and medications that will keep my heart going and my blood sugar stabilized. By then it�s 6:30 and I walk out the house and lock up. The whiff of burning bread brings me running back into the house to find my breakfast has been incinerated. Oh well. Did I mention that I got dressed? I lock up and go to my car and begin my commute to work. Trucks roar past me and cars whiz by as I wonder why anyone would be that anxious to get to work. I finally get to the parking lot hoping to find a spot under the shade of a tree so that by 3 o�clock the car won�t be a sauna. I walk into my school and greet the secretaries and colleagues and perhaps the principal if she�s around. I go to my room and prep the room a little before classes begin. I go to the lunchroom at about 7:40 to pick up my students who have been having breakfast which I�m sure doesn�t consist of burnt toast. I have my students line up and I walk them up to our room where I formally greet them and they greet me with shiny clean faces (well most of them anyway) and big smiles and a hug or two or three and with a look of great expectation. I look over at them and my heart is lifted and I know that it is going to be a good day no matter what happens outside the walls of the school and in the neighborhood riddled with drugs and violence. Hopefully I can inspire some of my little angels as I once was inspired by the great people I had the fortune crossing paths with when I was a student.

There are some exaggerations here but not many.

12 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Ed, this is great, thanks! For the more gifted students, really. Very nice!

12 Aug 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

MY DAY!

I wake up to the sound of the alarm going off at 07:00, I then start to crawl out of my bed and make my way to see Johnny!

Go to the kitchen and put the kettle on and put two slices of bread in the toaster as I prepare the tea.
Then go outside for a "FAG" sip the cuppa I just made with the two slices of toast.

At 07:30 I head towards the bathroom to shower. Shave, and clean my teeth.
08:00 start getting ready for leaving for work put my clothes on feed my two dog �s and get into my car.

At 08:30 I �m on my way to work when the Tourette syndrome starts kicking in with the other drivers on the road!
Arrive at school for 08:50 go to the staffroom and make a nice cuppa before the first class begins. Then make sure my books and worksheets are ready for the class.

At 14:50 my teaching day ends and getting ready for the next round of Tourette syndrome by car!

Arrive back at the house for 15:10 with the greeting of my two dogs, wife, and very young son.
We sit down for something to eat and talk about our day and play with my son. Playing with my son is the best part of the day for me.

At 17:00 to 21:00 I will do my homework and make sure the next day�s lessons are ready.

From 21:00 to 22:00 it�s fun time!!! I read my novel or go on the internet and play online games,
go on els printables to see who I can make trouble with or annoyWink!
Have a joint or two to relax the day away and the anxietiesBig smile.

And my final part of the day is catching up with some back home news, films or TV.
Then would start thinking about going to bed around 23:50.

BUT REMEMBER THIS ISN �T MY TYPICAL DAY. AS THEY DO CHANGE FROM TIME TO TIME.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

12 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Ha ha, Redbull, I �m sure you realize this might be censored before given to students!
Great, though, thanks!!!
Do you use such texts sometimes?

12 Aug 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

@ Minka this may answer your question!

Check it out...... http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29012

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

12 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I understand what you mean. LOL I also like it when they joke but they soon cross the line. I guess my line is a bit stricter than yours, but not that much, really. BTW, would you call the male of a chicken a cock? Probably not (but that �s what I teach), I guess you �d say a rooster, right?

12 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Minka,

Here, in the UK, I �d teach "Cockerel".

Les

12 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Seriously? It sounds a bit French... and the word I use is in all British textbooks... We had an American assistant once and she said: "I �d never use that word talking to twelve-year-olds!" And she wouldn �t go to the stationer �s to buy a rubber, either...  LOL

12 Aug 2011     

1    2    Next >