Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Phrase/Word of the Day for Tuesday (POD/WOD)    

Phrase/Word of the Day for Tuesday (POD/WOD)

douglas
United States

Phrase/Word of the Day for Tuesday (POD/WOD)

Well it looks like the WOD got dropped somewhere, so here is a new one to get it going again:

Please provide your funny definitions for the following phrase:

"They �ll be shootin � the breeze �til the cows come home."

Looking forward to your inputs.

Cheers,
Douglas

23 Aug 2011      

maryse pey�
France

NO NO NO !!!!

Here is the right spelling for this sentence !

Their Will Bee short in the breath �til the KO is some Oooo Mmmm...

23 Aug 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ah, Douglas, generous as ever: two phrases for the price of one. It �s the habit of the old Scots-Irish hillbillies to take advantage of that pure Appalachian air with a gunfight or two in the full knowledge that when the young �uns lead the cattle back to their stalls, the atmosphere in the ol � homestead becomes two-thirds methane to every one-third oxygen.

23 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Many people imagine that this is an idioglottic, idiosyncratic, idiomatic expression, but they are all wrong!  And it is certainly not idiotic.

On seeing this phrase, I turned to my Vade Mecum for inspiration.  I call it my �Vade Mecum� because I take it everywhere with me. (�Vade Mecum� means �Go with me� in Latin.)  I would have preferred the title to have been in Greek, because Greek impresses people who look over your shoulder much more than Latin does.  However, the Romans spoke Latin, not Greek, as you possibly know, so my book is titled �Vade Mecum�.

Nevertheless, as the Catholic priest said, observing the numerous children of the Murphy family in his tiny congregation, �we must be thankful for small Murphys�.

I opened my Vade Mecum, �Answers to �Word of the Day� Problems�, by Jason Rayne Bowes.  You will be astonished, as I was, when I saw the words on page 1,897 of Volume 6.  There, at Chapter 14, �Who Killed Cock Robin?� by Howard I Noe, was the ominous sentence: �Most so-called idiomatic expressions originated in Switzerland!�

I have no intention of boring you with puerile, infantile, juvenile jokes about Switzerland.

�What is the most complicated piece of army equipment in Switzerland?�  �The Swiss army knife�.

�How do you make a Swiss Roll?�  �Push him down a hillside!�

�In Switzerland, what is National Service?�  �Two years at Neutral School.�

However, here is a Swiss yodelling joke.

A Swiss commercial traveller went from mountain to mountain, selling farm equipment to isolated farms.  While the farmer worked in the fields, the traveller spent the day explaining the equipment to the wife and her beautiful daughter.  In the evening, the farmer returned, to find that his daughter had been kissed by the visitor.

Furious, he shouted across the valley at the commercial traveller, on the adjoining hillside.

�You swine!  You take advantage of my hospitality by kissing my daughter!�

Back came the reply.

��And your old laydee, too!� �

It is not generally known that the British group, The Beatles, had a successful tour of Switzerland, organised by an extremely polite, German-speaking Manager, Dan Kershern.  Their most popular song was translated for them by Tristan Schaut.

And it is thus that we arrive at a full explanation of the perfectly straightforward phrase: "They �ll be shootin � the breeze �til the cows come home."

A group of Swiss farmers emigrated to the USA.  One of them took a grandfather clock with him, to remind him of home.  As he carried the clock onto the quayside, an American dock-worker asked:  �Why can�t you use a wrist-watch, like everybody else?�

Naturally, the Swiss became cowboys, but they refused to use their guns as offensive weapons.  Instead, they simply shot them into the air, while waiting for the cows, wearing cow-bells, (�Kuhglocken�), to come home,.  The Swiss called to the cows on their Alphorns, by playing �Ranz des Vaches�.  This aria is from the American opera, �Bill, Explain!� by Ross Eeny.  It was eventually translated into the German, �William, Tell�, by Barbara Seville.

Hence, we have the expression:

Les

24 Aug 2011