Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Phrase of the day (POD/WOD) Extended    

Phrase of the day (POD/WOD) Extended

douglas
United States

Phrase of the day (POD/WOD) Extended

Hi all!

Due to limited participation (thank you Maryse for participating), I have decided to extend the POD/WOD through the weekend.  I will announce a new winner on Monday morning (September 5th).

This means you now have all weekend to add an input to the following phrase:

"Damn straight! I made it by the skin of my teeth."

NOTE: If I fail to receive more inputs by Monday we will have to consider putting the POD/WOD to rest for a while. 

I won�t be around this weekend so I wish you all a great weekend.

Cheers,
Douglas 

2 Sep 2011      

valentinaper
Greece

You know what it �s like when you try hard to do something good and then you make one little mistake and it �s all blown away?
Let me give you an example. Suppose that you �re flossing your teeth, the way you do every day to keep them healthy. Sometimes you make a wrong movement and...BANG! your gums will hurt for the rest of the day.

Anyway, that �s what this phrase is all about...an equivalent to the saying: "If at first you don �t succeed, try try and try again".

e.g. I knew I had to put in a lot of time and effort on this project, and I �m sure I �ve made some mistakes along the way, but I sure made it by the skin of my teeth!

BTW please don �t count me in to continue the game, I just wanted to post that for fun, and because I like the WOD-POD game and I �d like it to go on. However, if you feel we should put it to rest, I totally get it.

Cheers,
Valentina

3 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Damn straight!  I made it by the skin of my teeth."

I notice that Douglas has deliberately slipped in a false clue to confuse us all.

�Damn straight!� --- Indeed!

Anyone who has the first notion of The Triangle of Forces, Young�s Modulus of Elasticity, or who even has a copy of �The Choirboy�s Book of Co-Secant Tables�, will recognise the glaring error.  Do the Mathematicians, �Pythagoras�, �Euclid�, and �Isosceles�   mean nothing to him?

Has he forgotten that the Redskins of North America taught the properties of a right-angle triangle, using a pot of stinking gnu meat, and children lying on buffalo hides?

�The Squaw on the high Pottted Gnu is equal to the Sons of the Squaws on the other Two Hides?�

What should have been written, of course, was not: �Damn straight�, but, �Dam straits!�

It�s the obvious place to build a dam, across a narrow strait!  Hence, we have the expression, �The straight and narrow!�

�I made it by the skin of my teeth!�

Who removed the skin from the teeth?  The Dentist�s assistant, Florence, or as she prefers to be called, �Dental Floss�.

And what was used to remove the skin from the teeth?  �Dental dam�, of course!

I refuse to include any Dentist�s songs here, such as: �Oh the Yanks are coming!��

But I must tell you that an Indian guru asked the Dentist to extract his tooth, without using an anaesthetic, while music was played.  Apparently, he wanted to transcend dental medication.

You can see how, linguistically speaking, everything is connected.  Indeed, a person cannot linguistically speak, without a �lingua�, (a tongue).

As a final point, the largest dammed Lake in the world was made by beavers. And, as winter approached, what were the tools that they used to cut up the tree branches? That�s right --- they managed to finish it by the skin of their teeth!

In every Dentist�s surgery you will see on the wall, the Dentist�s Certificate, or as some people call it, �The Dental Plaque�.

A newly-qualified Dentist, with no patients, was waiting in his surgery, when a man entered.  Immediately, the Dentist picked up his new telephone and pretended to make several appointments, speaking to his Receptionist.

He finished and turned to the man.  �Yes, Sir.  How can I help you?�

The man replied: �I�ve come to connect the telephone!�

Les

4 Sep 2011