Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Activities in the library    

Activities in the library

neska10
Spain

Activities in the library

This year we would like to promote the reading in English by using the library with our students (12-16 years old). So we have to think what kind of activities we could carry out. The level of the students isn �t very high.

Apart from reading books adapted to their level, or making posters about some British authors, or some famous British novels to decorate the walls of the library, do you know other kind of activities to be carried out? If you have some experience of this kind we �d be pleased to know it.

Thank you.

3 Sep 2011      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

I had to deal with a library for some months. Very exciting to see young readers running into to kiss me and running to the books... I miss this sensation...

I had decorated the wall with posters. Let me explain : drawings for each type of reading : adventure, fairies tales, biographies... If ever I find back my models I will send you what they look like.

Only that greatly appealed the readers. The idea of the posters of some authors is a good idea but what about famous characters : Harry Potter, Percy Jackson or Sherlock Holmes for example. You may make your students write a short written introduction about these characters you will put under the poster.

You may write �the enigma of the month � about a text you had read during the month and make the students try to find which text is concerned. For example �In this text there is Paul. Poor Paul ! He is not very well... Will you visit him ? � if you had read about Paul at the hospital because he had broken his leg.

Or you may make them work in groups on a simple text and prepare a dialogue from this text. They will read it in class.

Hope this will help.

Very good week end.

Maryse.

3 Sep 2011     

neska10
Spain

Thank you very much for your ideas, Maryse. I find them very useful, above all those about the contents of the posters. Thumbs Up
Have a nice weekend too!

3 Sep 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

There is a list of 100 games and activities you may try:
100 READING GAMES
if you don �t have points, I will send it to your email.

Library Displays ideas and tips:
http://www.creativelibrarydisplays.com/display/

Competition, fill in lighthearted tests is also a good thing... + Stickers as rewards for completing the funny tests or give each student a "book" where they will write down the answers for the tests and will be given stamps...

Let us know how it goes, dear! I would love to see the photos of your library...

3 Sep 2011     

neska10
Spain

Fantastic, Nika!. Thank you so much. It �s a fantastic list of activities, I �ll carry out some of them. In Spain secondary schools start lessons next week and I hope my students this year will play an active part in this kind of activities and I will be able to tell you about the results soon. Thank you very much.  

3 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

One activity which has worked well with older students that are working at a low level is pairing them with reading buddies from lower grades where they can read books at a lower level to students that can benefit from listening to stories. It boosts their self esteem by having them read to the younger students and they don �t feel bad that they are reading low level books plus it helps them with their fluency and comprehension. Ed

3 Sep 2011     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Did anyone suggest a "treasure hunt"?  Create a map of the library and ask the children to look for certain books or signs etc.  

3 Sep 2011     

maggiejeria
Chile

Great Idea, Pinky Makus. Thanks.

4 Sep 2011     

neska10
Spain

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.Wink

4 Sep 2011