Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A or The    

A or The

...Alena...
Russian Federation

A or The

Hello everyone,
please help me with articles. Here is a sentence:
Where is ...... red book? It �s in the kitchen.
No context. Why can �t I say the red ball??????
Thank you for your attention.
Helen. 

9 Sep 2011      

zuzanavilma
Slovakia

If you ask a question: "Where is the  red book?" you are likely to know which one you are looking for...so you are talking about something specific
 It is similar to : "Where are the children?" and it is assumed you are looking for your children not any other.

a red ball - not specified which one, one of the many
the red ball - e.g. the one which is on the floor and is the only one in the room
I have a red ball. I have bought a red ball. I would like a red ball for my birthday.
BUT: Pass me the red ball.  - which means both speaker and listener are talking about one specific ball.

Ijust hope I have been any usuful

9 Sep 2011     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thank you dear zuzanavilma,
I just can �t make it out how I can ask about a red ball = any red ball, if people I �m talking to have no idea about the balls at all. If I ask my kids "Where is the blue key" - I believe it always implies that they know what key I mean to find. Asking for the blue key I have specified the key, so I chose �the � article.
Is it correct to say "Where is a red book?"
My neighbour �s teacher said it was incorrect to say "Where �s the red ball" - it should be "Where is a red ball?"
Thank you for help.

9 Sep 2011     

Apodo
Australia

You are correct to use �the �

If YOU are asking about the ball - YOU know there is a particular ball. The question tells the listeners there is a red ball, and they must find where it is.

Where can I buy/ find a red ball? You don �t know if there is a red ball.

10 Sep 2011     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Dear Apodo,
Thank you so much for your reply.

10 Sep 2011