Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > as Vs like    

as Vs like

solracsilva
Colombia

as Vs like

Hi everybody.

Can anybody help me to understand the difference between AS and LIKE in terms of usage?

Thanks in advance.

10 Sep 2011      

Oksanochka
Ukraine

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-reference/and

10 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

That �s an interesting page, Oksana, but I �m not too sure that it fully answers the OP �s question. Although prepositional �as � and �like � are often interchangeable, the sentence "John is acting as the child �s guardian" is definitely not the same as "John is acting like the child �s guardian". There are also plenty of examples of the close relationship between conjunctive �like � and �as � ("He no longer ignores everyone �s advice like/as he used to") in Merriam-Webster �s usage dictionary (pages 600ff.).

10 Sep 2011     

mariec
Spain

www.englishclub.com/   you will find a very good explaination here.

10 Sep 2011     

wilwarin32
Argentina

As + subject + verb   Nobody cooks as my mum does.
Like + noun   He speaks like a native.

Regards!!!

10 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

@mariec

The advice given on your link seems to have been lifted wholesale from Murphy �s Grammar in Use (typically, the source isn �t acknowledged), but with an interesting omission: Murphy states that like + subject + verb is "also possible in informal spoken English" ( �I left everything like it was �). Michael Swan (Practical English Usage) also talks about its informal nature but Merriam-Webster - my preferred reference book when it comes to usage - shows quite clearly that conjunctive like "has never been less than standard, even if primarily spoken".

Ironically, the only major change that the English Club �expert � made was to replace Murphy �s statement with "we use as (not �like �) before a subject + verb". Idiotic prescriptions like this usually come from reading too much �Strunk & White �. It �s like they �ve never been gone...

10 Sep 2011     

mariec
Spain

Sorry, just trying to help.

10 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

There �s no need for you to apologize, mariec. I was talking about the plagiarist on that forum whose only �original � contribution turned out to be bilge.

10 Sep 2011