Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011 (Round two}    

Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011 (Round two}

Redbull
Thailand

Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011 (Round two}

England has many unusual sayings. How would you explain this one?

Here is the link to the other comments....... http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30341

"It �s the dog �s bollocks".

Deleted the picture, as some of you find my
unorthodox
Ways not to your taste. 

The reason I chose this phrase is because the meaning is sooooo different from what it actually says on text!.

Now, please don �t cheat and look the phrase up before you enter your definitions.

Good luck people and wish you all the best.

Redbull gives you wings you knowWink.

13 Sep 2011      

Sainte-Marie
United States

This is a sandwich with poor reputation -- baloney or boloney what  means Nonsence

13 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

For years I thought bollocks were some kind of an English meal, more specifically I thought them to be either sausage or soem kind of a cabbage dish.  This picture still comes to mind whenever I hear the word "bollocks"--my brain has to correct itelf every time.

So when I hear "the dog �s bollocks" I picture a dog standing at its feeding bowl and happily eating away at a bowl full of cabbage and sausages.

(PS- thanks for pulling the picture.  My desk at work is in a pretty public arae and when I have something like that on the screen it gets a bit of negative attention)

13 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

@Douglas: 

For all anyone knows, �bollocks � might really be the name of something eaten in some odd corner of England. Remember, this is the nation which - apart from its �magnificent bastard tongue � * - gave us such gastronomic delicacies as �spotted dick �, �toad in the hole � and �faggots �. And who could possibly pass on an offer of �bubble and squeak �?

* �John McWhorter

13 Sep 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

Since dogs have a special way of treating their private parts (by the way, I �ll never understand how nature works!), in my mind this phrase is instantly related to a lollipop candy meant for animals!

13 Sep 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

WINNER IS Valentinaper LOL.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

13 Sep 2011