Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Whoooops! WOD-sized space to let. SLACKTIVIST?    

Whoooops! WOD-sized space to let. SLACKTIVIST?

almaz
United Kingdom

Whoooops! WOD-sized space to let. SLACKTIVIST?

Sainte-Marie has just pm �d me to apologize. She can �t, after all, do the WOD, POD or even the WOW (Word of the Weekend). No sweat.

Since the very idea of second-best has no place in this game (the criteria are completely subjective), I thought I �d just offer another brand new word from our cobbers down under at the Macquarie Dictionary:

SLACKTIVIST

Usual rules apply: there are no rules, but don �t be a drongo and give the dictionary definition.

18 Sep 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

The word slacktivist is an oxymoron. It is a combo of slacker and activist, therefore a slacktivist is a slacker with a higher purpose.

18 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

As Sainte Marie did not want to take the slacks after Almaz, the latter , who is a very active person ( as we all knowSmile) decided to start a new WOD. So we can conclude Almaz is a slacktivist  ( the "compression" of slack+ activist)
BTW what is the name of such speech figure when you "compress" 2 words into one?

18 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I �m sorry, Ed.

A "Slacktivist" is not an Oxy-moron!

He is a Buffalo-moron!

"He doesn �t know one end of a cow from the other".

Les 

18 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Mariethe House,

Quirk et al, (2010), Page 1583, use the rather boring word, "Blend".

They give numerous examples of blends which are in popular use:
"smog" (smoke + fog)
"paratroops" (parachute + troops)
"heliport" (helicopter + airport)
"cheeseburger" (cheese + hamburger)
"stagflation" (stagnation + inflation)
"breathalyser" (breath + analyser)
etc.

Some blends did not become popular:
"swimsation" (swimsuit + sensation)
"lubritection" (lubricant + protection)
etc.

David Crystal, (2008), page 57, also defines, "Blending", giving examples:
"brunch" (breakfast + lunch)
"Interpol" (international + police)
"Eurovision" (Europe + television)

Les

18 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha Almaz - A blast from the past - I haven�t heard the words �no sweat� or �drongo� for yonks. 

BTW, are you saying slacktivist is Ozzie?  I�ve never heard of it.  I think you�re just slackin� off a tad there and talking gobbledygook so as to make us think that you�re not just a visiting slacker, after all a slacktivist is a slack visitor.

Cheers

Jayho

P.S.  Les/Mariethe

Our canteen gives us sporks with our lunch (Spoon fork combo).  I think that�s just simply fantabulous (my blend: fantastic + fabulous)

18 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@ Les....LOL

18 Sep 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

There is also another hidden meaning in this word.
A slacktivist is a person (hence the suffix -ist)who defends every human �s right to spend as much time watching TV as they wish.
His favourite phrase is:
"So, OK, they �re TiVo addicts...Cut them some slack!

18 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

A slacktivist defended people �s rights to wear slacks! Slacktivists were women who thought that all people should be able to wear trousers, not only men. So in the early 60 �s, they set up camp in front of local Mark �s and Spencer �s and started handing out homemade "slacks" to all the women daring enough to don them.

18 Sep 2011     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi there!

SLACKTIVIST definition:

slack refers to a student who is extremely lazy. So slacktivist is a person who supports a recent movement called slacktivism. This movement was recently created by all teenagers we refused to study and do all their school activities.

here a picture:

18 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Zora, I don �t know if you have ever been to St. Peter �s at the Vatican but women are not allowed in without skirts. That is where the movement of slacktivism actually got started. Women refused to don (or is it dona?) skirts and attempted to enter St. Peter �s. Of course the Swiss guards, who for some unknown reason wear clown disguises, swooped down arrested the protesting women. The women were further outraged when Scottish men were allowed in wearing skirts er quilts. The women felt that they too should be allowed to cross dress. Ed

18 Sep 2011